Why become a member? ×

Boss Katana:Go discontinued

lidl e

They really are pretty fantastic. I’ve just been having a more casual play around the house or popping a film on downstairs while having a noodle. A nice change rather than having to always sit in the office to play. 

I wonder what that means for support? I mean Boss are notoriously bad for QOL content updates for products compared to some of the competition but I’m sure the app will at least continue to get support.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Just picked one up, not sure if that will turn out to be a good or a bad move.

I use mine all the time.

Hopefully they didnt discontinue because of an issue other than getting parts.

I dont think youll regret it at all.

3 hours ago, lidl e said:

I use mine all the time.

Hopefully they didnt discontinue because of an issue other than getting parts.

I dont think youll regret it at all.

I suppose I'll be able to sell it as "the rare black model" if necessary.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I suppose I'll be able to sell it as "the rare black model" if necessary.

Its even got a klon preset

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2024 at 17:13, tauzero said:

Just picked one up, not sure if that will turn out to be a good or a bad move.

Seems like a bad move. Immensely frustrating. Nux Mighty Plug - plug in, switch on, play songs on phone and play along to them. Katana Go - plug in, switch on, try to pair Bluetooth via the app, apparently it works, try playing music on phone with the same player app as I use with the Nux, music comes through phone speakers. Adding songs one by one to the session list in the BTS app, try playing them after going through the Bluetooth connection rigmarole on the app and the device, and they play through the phone speakers. Unusable. Not surprised it's been discontinued, should never have been sold in the first place. The Nux Mighty Plug might have inferior sound quality but it's infinitely superior in usability.

35 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Seems like a bad move. Immensely frustrating. Nux Mighty Plug - plug in, switch on, play songs on phone and play along to them. Katana Go - plug in, switch on, try to pair Bluetooth via the app, apparently it works, try playing music on phone with the same player app as I use with the Nux, music comes through phone speakers. Adding songs one by one to the session list in the BTS app, try playing them after going through the Bluetooth connection rigmarole on the app and the device, and they play through the phone speakers. Unusable. Not surprised it's been discontinued, should never have been sold in the first place. The Nux Mighty Plug might have inferior sound quality but it's infinitely superior in usability.

Have you connected both the Midi and Audio Bluetooth connections?

• Like 1

I love the way they've separated the Bluetooth app connection from the audio. It means you can connect the app to your phone and edit patches while playing audio from another source like a laptop.

Seems to be the cause of most people’s issues getting it set up though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I dont have any of those issues at all. 

Bluetooth for both the device and audio works great.

2 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Have you connected both the Midi and Audio Bluetooth connections?

Aye. Gotta do both. One for the app, one for audio

Screenshot_20240609_182910_Settings.thumb.jpg.79d6728dd5ccc95987b7d60c7e70118f.jpg

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

On my GX-100, I couldn't get a stable audio connection until I set up the Bluetooth midi first, despite the manual saying to do it the other way round. Might be worth a shot. 

2 hours ago, lidl e said:

Aye. Gotta do both. One for the app, one for audio

Screenshot_20240609_182910_Settings.thumb.jpg.79d6728dd5ccc95987b7d60c7e70118f.jpg

I would have if the KATANA:GO AUDIO had shown up. But it didn't, and it doesn't.

The AUDIO Bluetooth device wasn't shown in the pairing screen, after numerous turning on and off and pressing the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds. Finally did a factory reset of the GO and the AUDIO option has now appeared. What a bloody rigmarole. And the Nux Mighty Plug just has the one Bluetooth device and can happily cope with settings being messed with while music plays, so I'm not convinced that there's any need to do that anyway. Still, I am now there or thereabouts. Thanks to all for your help.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, tauzero said:

The AUDIO Bluetooth device wasn't shown in the pairing screen, after numerous turning on and off and pressing the Bluetooth button for 10 seconds. Finally did a factory reset of the GO and the AUDIO option has now appeared. What a bloody rigmarole. And the Nux Mighty Plug just has the one Bluetooth device and can happily cope with settings being messed with while music plays, so I'm not convinced that there's any need to do that anyway. Still, I am now there or thereabouts. Thanks to all for your help.

Awesome!!

Posted (edited)

Glad it was all resolved.

But,

tmp.png.21b6826e13bad3251d350fb055999450.png

I mean, it kind of has to be that way surely?  They are different things.

Maybe the NUX app pairs the bluetooth audio for you if it's available.  That sounds like it would be a good thing.

Edited by linear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Im excited for your updated review!!

1 hour ago, linear said:

Glad it was all resolved.

But,

tmp.png.21b6826e13bad3251d350fb055999450.png

I mean, it kind of has to be that way surely?  They are different things.

Maybe the NUX app pairs the bluetooth audio for you if it's available.  That sounds like it would be a good thing.

I originally just paired the Nux Mighty Plug, which was all that showed up. Just checked and the Mighty Plug MIDI doesn't show up in the saved devices, it shows up if I switch the Mighty Plug on but can't be paired to, then if I run the app, it disappears. So I think the app picks it up on its own if the audio is paired.