Why become a member? ×

I’ve had a warning. Please advise.

Dear admins,

I’ve received a warning because I sought advice about vintage parts I have, but not sure what they are worth. I will accept your warning, but it came with no advice as to how I should ask this forum about value etc? I feel that an open forum should be just that, but if there are implied rules or restrictions, maybe an admin’s knowledge should be given for further reference. Much respect, a long time member, Matt 🫡

There is a board for that (whatzitworth I think), but you need to be a supporting member to post there (just like selling things in the for sale boards).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As @nilebodgers says, the site rules are that you can only ask for valuation opinions if you have paid to sell things by becoming a supporting member.

The background is that some people were using the valuation route as a way of selling items without paying the fee, which the site needs in order to remain afloat.

David

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

As @nilebodgers says, the site rules are that you can only ask for valuation opinions if you have paid to sell things by becoming a supporting member.

The background is that some people were using the valuation route as a way of selling items without paying the fee, which the site needs in order to remain afloat.

David

Thank you. I’ve been a loyal member for many many years, sold many items without issue, and bought items without issue. My profile status shows my loyalty, so to pay more for extra advice seems a little odd. What do I need to do to prove I am legit here? Surely my continued support, both monetarily and with my interaction, should allow me to ask a simple question. Far from democratic. Anyway, getting the bigger picture. Thanks again. Cheers 🫡

• Like 5

@mattbass6 It's a very reasonable £18 for a year's opportunity to create 'For Sale' threads and for access (i.e. creating, replying to and reading posts) in the 'Wotzit werth?' section. All those who have currently paid for this have '*Supporting Member*' written in their title block.

The 'Wotzit werth?' is obviously the section you are after and, as @Mottlefeeder mentioned, this has been created to prevent people avoiding paying to post in 'For Sale' by asking 'wotzit werth?' in the general discussion area and then selling by PMs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

Dear admins,

I’ve received a warning because I sought advice about vintage parts I have, but not sure what they are worth. I will accept your warning, but it came with no advice as to how I should ask this forum about value etc? I feel that an open forum should be just that, but if there are implied rules or restrictions, maybe an admin’s knowledge should be given for further reference. Much respect, a long time member, Matt 🫡

Hi Matt,

I am concerned that you say the warning gave no advice?  The below text was included in the informal warning you have acknowledged:-

Hi there!

Don't panic - this isn't a 'warning' as such - just a note to say that on Basschat we don't allow 'what's it worth' type posts in the open forum, because sometimes people use them to post items for sale without placing an advert.  Subscribing members have access to a special valuation forum in the classifieds section, which is the best place to ask something like this.

If you're still struggling to value your item, have a look on here by searching for your item in the marketplace forum, perhaps someone has sold one before. Another idea is to check eBay for 'completed' and 'sold' items. If you still can't find out, ask yourself what's it worth to you? You can list it with a rough (and realistic) price, then ask for offers in that range.

We are working on a 'value your kit' service but in the meantime if you are really struggling for a price please feel free to email any details, including a picture or two if possible to [email protected] and we'll do the legwork for you.

Did you not see this?  As this would be an issue that the Admin team need to pick up as a bug.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kev said:

Hi Matt,

I am concerned that you say the warning gave no advice?  The below text was included in the informal warning you have acknowledged:-

Hi there!

Don't panic - this isn't a 'warning' as such - just a note to say that on Basschat we don't allow 'what's it worth' type posts in the open forum, because sometimes people use them to post items for sale without placing an advert.  Subscribing members have access to a special valuation forum in the classifieds section, which is the best place to ask something like this.

If you're still struggling to value your item, have a look on here by searching for your item in the marketplace forum, perhaps someone has sold one before. Another idea is to check eBay for 'completed' and 'sold' items. If you still can't find out, ask yourself what's it worth to you? You can list it with a rough (and realistic) price, then ask for offers in that range.

We are working on a 'value your kit' service but in the meantime if you are really struggling for a price please feel free to email any details, including a picture or two if possible to [email protected] and we'll do the legwork for you.

Did you not see this?  As this would be an issue that the Admin team need to pick up as a bug.

Fair play this is bang on and really positive and helpful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, neepheid said:

It's not a democracy though.

Yes it is. Now sit down, shut up and do what you're told. 😁

Edited by Maude
Changing autocorrected 'your' to 'you're' before Dad sees.
  • Haha 8

We strive to be balanced and fair in how we manage Basschat. Most of the time we get it right, very occasionally we don't. I think the ruling that we don't allow valuation threads is always going to appear contentious to a very small amount of users but this is offset by the fact that a small amount of the membership pay for running ads on a site that is run by volunteers & the valuation threads were being used as a sale opportunity by too many members in the past. We know this was not always the case but that's why the rule was put in. Most people accept it. Of course, we're not all the same. 

As per Kev's post, the "warning" literally opens with the line "this is not a warning as such" and carries no penalty points. It is never a reflection on someone's contribution to the wider BC community, just a response to that one post. I think we'd all agree that many people are generally just curious about value so it's why the message is worded in the way shared by Kev. 

We do what we can to promote the rules and the vast majority of all your posts / threads don't need any moderating. Most moderators put the rules in our signatures (sadly like many moderators, I spend more time on here moderating than I do posting). When you sign up, you agree to the rules (a long time ago for many of you!) and when you go on Marketplace the rules are there to be seen. We fully accept that BC rules are not always at the forefront of people's minds and that often small breaches are not intentional.

We let this thread (& the previous one) run for a while. I think sufficient time has run on it for people to both comment and reply.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1