Why become a member? ×

2 Preamps on a pedalboard, is it too much?

AngeR

Posted (edited)

Hello guys,

this is my pedalboard and I'm fairly happy with the sound possibilities that I have.

IMG_3325.heic

I am a session musician and 90% of the gigs, I use In Ear monitoring without an amp. The thing is that I have to play a LOT of genres and for some kinds of music something is missing... the "amp sound".

Doing some research I found the Origin Effects Bass Rig Super Vintage (the Ampeg clone) and the thing might be the right tool for what I need.

So, the question is: what if I let the Mesa (it's a always on type of pedal) for the main EQ and after that I use the Origin for amp and speaker simulation? Is it redundant?

Just to explain the other EQ pedal in my board, I use it only for matching the volume of my basses and more or less like an onboard pre (when I need some equing like more low end or scooped sound).

Thanks for the help and sorry for the English, obviously, it's not my main language.

Edited by AngeR
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If it gives you the tone you want then no amount of preamps are too many.

I personally use a combination of no less than 4 preamps to get the tone I want in my "amp-less" setup.

Basic tube preamp, on the verge of breakup -> analog overdriven guitar "amp in a box", mixed 50/50 with parallel "clean" tone -> digital bass amp emulator with IR cab sim -> basic tube preamp and DI with build in HPF, on the verge of breakup

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply! I thought that I had a “complicated” setup… 😂 

4 preamps in a pedalboard, wow!

Thanks for the advice

ps: it would be cool to see your pedalboard 😉

19 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

IMG_9754.thumb.jpeg.62618b7c2c95b1d3da5adaaded32fc1e.jpeg

The more the merrier! The SLO, FeT and Mother all provide their own flavours. I’m contemplating moving the Mother on to a separate smaller “guitar” board though. 

You need a bigger board my friend :)

How's the HX One?  Do you just use the presets or are you writing your own?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franzbassist said:

You need a bigger board my friend :)

How's the HX One?  Do you just use the presets or are you writing your own?

The HX One is cool, really compact and perfect for adding occasional fx or experimentation. At the moment I mostly use it for the compressor but wanna get a Cali76 on ideally as I’ve found the ones on the HX aren’t great. As it’s just single fx I usually just set them up and play as I need them.

• Like 1

Two (or more) preamps is fine. A good few years ago I used an Aguilar Tonehammer DI for the tone and drive, then added in a Sansamp with everything at midday to beef it up (a trick I was shown by our producer). 

On 29/05/2024 at 19:59, MrDinsdale said:

The HX One is cool, really compact and perfect for adding occasional fx or experimentation. At the moment I mostly use it for the compressor but wanna get a Cali76 on ideally as I’ve found the ones on the HX aren’t great. As it’s just single fx I usually just set them up and play as I need them.

Excellent. Random question - does it have blank slots for your own patches, or do you just have to edit and save over the presets?

2 hours ago, franzbassist said:

Excellent. Random question - does it have blank slots for your own patches, or do you just have to edit and save over the presets?

I think you can save over the presets to my knowledge. I think the desktop app lets you back up and reorder patches although I don't think you can edit them via the software which is a pain. You can also make it so only a selection of patches appear on the device, say you just had 4 effects you jumped between, you could lock it down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

I think you can save over the presets to my knowledge. I think the desktop app lets you back up and reorder patches although I don't think you can edit them via the software which is a pain. You can also make it so only a selection of patches appear on the device, say you just had 4 effects you jumped between, you could lock it down.

Thanks, that's useful to know!

• 2 months later...