Why become a member? ×

Siren. C4?

stewblack

After an air raid siren like the one at the start of Blockbuster or in the middle of Jailbreak.

Can the C4 do it?

Or is there another fiendishly clever way?

Siren effects on synths are often a self-oscillating filter with an LFO applied to the cutoff. Essentially it’s close to a sine wave so you might be able to do it using the sine wave oscillator with LFO applied to the tuning (but the pitch range probably doesn’t go wide enough). Another case where the FI would work. 

11 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Siren effects on synths are often a self-oscillating filter with an LFO applied to the cutoff. Essentially it’s close to a sine wave so you might be able to do it using the sine wave oscillator with LFO applied to the tuning (but the pitch range probably doesn’t go wide enough). Another case where the FI would work. 

Thanks man. I suspected you'd know! So I need to buy an FI then. 

It's as good an excuse as ever 😄

• Haha 1

On 29/05/2024 at 17:17, stewblack said:

Or is there another fiendishly clever way?

The siren on surf classic "Squad Car" was played using a saxophone mouthpiece:

Seems like it can be done using other brass* mouthpieces as well, though I have no idea how difficult this is:

* Yes, I know sax is technically a woodwind 😝

• Like 1

I'd love to see a really simple sample player pedal, where you shove in an SD card and have like two footswitches for "Play current sample" and "Go to next sample". Often thought about doing it myself with an Electrosmith Daisy or similar in a box, but obviously never got round to it 😆. The closest I've seen is the Electro-Faustus Simulacrum, but they're unobtanium and apparently have a problem with switch clicking noises when activated.

Usually people recommend the Boss Loop Station or Digitech JamMan for foot-triggering of samples, but these are full-on loopers and seem like overkill. If you've got a keyboard player then life is easy, because either their unit can play samples, or they can tape a crap-but-cheap-and-functional Akai MPX-8 to it. Or even just use a phone/tablet/whatever. Life is easier for people who are sitting down and not using both hands all the time. A drummer with an electronic percussion pad is another good option, although they have to spend a fair amount to get one that can actually load user samples.

This is one of those subjects I've spent far too much time thinking about 🙈

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Wouldn’t it be easier to just have something to trigger a sample? 

Yes indeed. I was just interested in seeing if I could do it with my current kit.

14 minutes ago, MartinB said:

I'd love to see a really simple sample player pedal, where you shove in an SD card and have like two footswitches for "Play current sample" and "Go to next sample". Often thought about doing it myself with an Electrosmith Daisy or similar in a box, but obviously never got round to it 😆. The closest I've seen is the Electro-Faustus Simulacrum, but they're unobtanium and apparently have a problem with switch clicking noises when activated.

Usually people recommend the Boss Loop Station or Digitech JamMan for foot-triggering of samples, but these are full-on loopers and seem like overkill. If you've got a keyboard player then life is easy, because either their unit can play samples, or they can tape a crap-but-cheap-and-functional Akai MPX-8 to it. Or even just use a phone/tablet/whatever. Life is easier for people who are sitting down and not using both hands all the time. A drummer with an electronic percussion pad is another good option, although they have to spend a fair amount to get one that can actually load user samples.

Sounds perfect. Let me know when you've finished inventing it 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MartinB said:

Old band might have once had a sound files loaded up on an old iPod  and plugged into FOH it only had the tracks we wanted loaded on- not hi tech but when you wanted it to play you hit the play button and things happened 

On 31/05/2024 at 17:01, MartinB said:

The Roland SPD WAV pad is a sort of one shot trigger pad. It can be triggered using your foot (their other products include percussion pads in the same form factor and they demo them being used as stomp things for acoustic guitar players). You could load up to 12 samples in and switch between then and just trigger with your foot if needed. 

• Like 2