Why become a member? ×

Need help identifying please

Recently purchased this upright bass. Have no clue as to what model/year it is. There is no stamp, serial or name anywhere. Looks quite modern.

Thanks 

IMG_5410.jpeg

IMG_5413.jpeg

IMG_5407.jpeg

IMG_5400.jpeg

IMG_5401.jpeg

IMG_5397.jpeg

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5376.jpeg

• Like 2

Looks nice. Looks fairly new. Properly made too.

It's a shape that's quite popular for modern factory basses .. look at the Eastman &Jay Haide basses ( made in china) and they have the same steeply sloped shoulders, violin corners and round back.  Could almost be an Eastman vb305

https://www.bassbags.co.uk/product/eastman-vb305-double-bass-evah-pirazzi/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwx-CyBhAqEiwAeOcTdQ2WGSSYTKVKXhiVLCUXtU2ZcvgB1DWnYidR9Sq7imKrBqWfU9uWVxoCXjkQAvD_BwE

But it has different tuners and the extension looks as though it was built with the neck which is unusual ( they're usually added later) and the dark stain on the neck is unusual too ( usually bare oiled maple).

Is that a repaired crack in the front tho?  Could have been repaired / restored ..

Where did you buy it? Did the seller not know it's provenance?

If you take it for an insurance valuation to somewhere like timtoft or thwaites they might have some ideas.

Pretty common with basses that you just never know.  I know the history of mine, but not who made it..it's just "German, late 1800s"...and a nice restored one I nearly bought, which looked new, was "English, maybe Hungarian, around 1900".

• Like 1