Why become a member? ×

Paradriver power question.

dave_bass5

I should know this as im sure i asked many years ago, but i cant find the post. 

If i leave my Paradriver with a jack plugged in to the input, and have phantom power turned on, will the battery drain? It seems i can run it without a battery in, which is fine at home with my Mac/ipad, but im worried ill forget to put a battery in it before i go to a gig/rehearsal. At the same time, i dont want to go out with a dead battery.

Obviously i can unplug the jack, but thats not what im asking. 

Thanks for any info.

Posted (edited)

Not sure specifically about the Para Driver but when I had a small pedalboard with a BDDI on it I used to leave a jack connected and it was fine. 

Def worth buying a cheap battery to test this though.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

Thanks. I know the manual says you should keep a battery in it to avoid any clicks when switching on and off, so I’m guessing the battery could also be in use somehow, but it also works without the battery. 
I’ll put a fresh battery in and leave it on for a few days during the week. 

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I use rechargeables in my Programmable They last weeks for regular home practice (unlike the BDI 21) but are always flat if I forget to unplug the jack.

I dont think iv ever had a battery go dead in a Tech21 product, but do remember doing this with my old BDDI once and got to a gig with no battery in it. Luckily i could power it off the desk (even though i wasnt going through it).

To be honest i don’t think I’ll be using the PD at home much anyway, ive got enough amp sims on my Mac/iPad to cover home playing. 

If you plug a DC cable, the 2.1mm co-axial cable, or even just an unwired plug into the external DC socket it will disconnect the battery. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, obbm said:

If you plug a DC cable, the 2.1mm co-axial cable, or even just an unwired plug into the external DC socket it will disconnect the battery. 

Ohhh, thats a cleaver idea. Cheers, ill do just that.

• Like 1

We recommend having a battery installed when running the unit on phantom power. This way if the phantom power is lost there will be no signal interruption. In general, you should not leave batteries in any effects unit for extended periods. They tend to corrode and leak over time. 

34 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

We recommend having a battery installed when running the unit on phantom power. This way if the phantom power is lost there will be no signal interruption. In general, you should not leave batteries in any effects unit for extended periods. They tend to corrode and leak over time. 

Ok but that doesn’t answer the question 😂.

On 31/05/2024 at 21:01, dave_bass5 said:

If i leave my Paradriver with a jack plugged in to the input, and have phantom power turned on, will the battery drain? 

No. The phantom or external DC turns off the battery. If phantom power goes out, the battery kicks in. If powered externally by DC power, the DC connector must be unplugged for the battery to work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tech21NYC said:

No. The phantom or external DC turns off the battery. If phantom power goes out, the battery kicks in. If powered externally by DC power, the DC connector must be unplugged for the battery to work. 

Thanks, that’s good to hear.