Why become a member? ×

Epiphone... G-3?

neepheid

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jonesy said:

If there are plans in the works then I hope it means Grabbers and Rippers are on the way too......

Any of the above would likely have me reaching for the wallet.

Assuming I can overcome the current mental difficulty I have with spending 1k+ on an Epiphone, should they be priced in line with other recent releases by the company.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Jonesy said:

If there are plans in the works then I hope it means Grabbers and Rippers are on the way too......

Yes please, a Ripper would definitely have me raiding the piggy bank.

The big fail with Epiphone guitars was this frankly nonsensical adherence to their (traditional) headstock shape, not that its mattered with Explorers, Flying Vs or the more recent Thunderbirds.

Even though I don't need another bass, a faithful Grabber or Ripper reproduction might picque my interest, so long as it's accurate (the Thunderbird bodies are some way off).  Let's see Les Paul Jones and Melody Makers as well.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, matbard said:

This is part of a new basses released by Epiphone for the upcoming summer.

I've been let down before, hence my caution.

Please, don't fumble this, Epiphone.  I heard they were doing a Grabber that you can't grab (no slidling pickup) so when I hear stories like that it gives me concerns.

2 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Although, if that's a sig model then it'd be near the £1300 mark, so my wallet may be safe.

As an ex-G-3 owner disgusted by the price of second hand Gibson examples, my wallet isn't...

Posted (edited)

Just seen this on Facebook re: the Grabber:

Seen at Reddit:

"Gibson Grabber Reissue by Epiphone
I've got some exciting insider news: Epiphone is set to re-issue the iconic Gibson Grabber model bass from the 1970s, which was discontinued in the 1980s. The Epiphone Grabber bass will be available in a natural finish, and black finish. Unlike the original sliding pickup, this re-issue will sport a non-movable, mounted pickup. All this goodness will be available for a price of $999.99, and is set to be released late 2024".

Not much to grab then...

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Just seen this on Facebook re: the Grabber:

Seen at Reddit:

"Gibson Grabber Reissue by Epiphone
I've got some exciting insider news: Epiphone is set to re-issue the iconic Gibson Grabber model bass from the 1970s, which was discontinued in the 1980s. The Epiphone Grabber bass will be available in a natural finish, and black finish. Unlike the original sliding pickup, this re-issue will sport a non-movable, mounted pickup. All this goodness will be available for a price of $999.99, and is set to be released late 2024".

Not much to grab then...

Yeah, was aware of this, this news isn't grabbing me... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Official Grabber pics are up. It all looks off to me, the scratchplate doesn't line up with the body, fixed pickups, oversized tuners... I wonder if there will be any further adjustments before release. 

FB_IMG_1719139686928.jpg

FB_IMG_1719139613967.jpg

FB_IMG_1719139691121.jpg

FB_IMG_1719139702048.jpg

FB_IMG_1719139696286.jpg

FB_IMG_1719139713909.jpg

Well, let's look at the positives first

1. It's bolt on, as per the originals, so they didn't miss the point (like Gibson did in their "reissues" making it set neck)

2. Although I can't see what bridge is on there, they haven't used a three pointer, again would have missed the point (insert point banging on about the Grabber II)

3. The headstock shape is right, even Gibson couldn't manage that in their "reissues"

4. The truss rod cover is a dead ringer for the original

5. Most of the originals had full size tuners, although the shafts of these ones stick out a bit further, this is technically correct (see picture below)

6. Clear coating the headstock instead of trad black is (mostly) correct - most Grabbers had a plain headstock, but Gibson being Gibson at the time, I'm sure some Grabbers snuck out with black headstocks.

7. Bridge cover!  Useless for palm muting, but a nice touch and again, technically correct.

Unknowns

Is it string thru body as per the originals?

Negatives

1. Fixed pickup - WTF thought that would be a vote winner?  Omitting the USP of the bass you are reissuing/paying homage to seems ridiculous to me.  I see there's a mini toggle there, either a coil split or perhaps series/parallel.  Yes, that probably does more tonally than the sliding pickup ever did, but that's by the by.

2. Pickguard shape/positioning - yeah, it's a bit off at the bottom, should follow the curve of the body's edge more closely.

3. Pickup choice - from the mounting screw layout, looks like some kind of MM humbucker with covered poles to me.  If so, point missed here, as the Grabber pickup (even though it looked chonky enough to be a humbucker) was actually a single coil.

image.png.a152a3ca03fa71d8ebd9ac4aed5f1115.png

Given Epiphone are now hawking Les Pauls/Explorers (etc.) with a Gibsonesque style logo in the correct placement, I'm not unsurprised that for the bass they've dispensed with that and stuck the headstock logo in that position/orientation.

All that's gonna happen here is buyers are going to break out their sanders, buy a replacement Gibson waterslide decal and thincoat over the top of it.  Just like Squiers.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Given Epiphone are now hawking Les Pauls/Explorers (etc.) with a Gibsonesque style logo in the correct placement, I'm not unsurprised that for the bass they've dispensed with that and stuck the headstock logo in that position/orientation.

All that's gonna happen here is buyers are going to break out their sanders, buy a replacement Gibson waterslide decal and thincoat over the top of it.  Just like Squiers.

The beauty of Epiphone getting this many fine details wrong/different in this reissue/reimagining/homage means that only the dimmest light bulb will be actively fooled by such a logo switcheroo.  A Squier P bass is pretty close to being a Fender P bass in all but the smallest of details - the logo is probably the biggest difference between a Fender P and a Squier P...

Also, given the orientation of the Epiphone logo - that's a lot of sanding and clearcoating to do below the Gibson logo and make it look convincing...

Edited by neepheid