Why become a member? ×

Epiphone... G-3?

neepheid

10 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Given Epiphone are now hawking Les Pauls/Explorers (etc.) with a Gibsonesque style logo in the correct placement, I'm not unsurprised that for the bass they've dispensed with that and stuck the headstock logo in that position/orientation.

All that's gonna happen here is buyers are going to break out their sanders, buy a replacement Gibson waterslide decal and thincoat over the top of it.  Just like Squiers.

Also... "now"?  They've been using that logo style for decades - it's on my 2004 Les Paul Standard bass...

I guess the pickguard does look to be the same shape as in the Mike Dirnt pics, plus the logo orientation is the same. Still. Could have found an example with a nicer bit of body wood for the pics... GAS dissipated.

9 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

Might not be the most important question, but is it worth that kind of money?

(Yeah, sure, hard to say without playing one, but, regardless, what do you think?

If it had been done right (I'm talking sliding pickup, the works) then I'd have paid a grand - it's a damn sight cheaper than a second hand original.  But they've got enough things wrong here to say, no, would have had to have been < £750 for me to bite as it stands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

If it had been done right (I'm talking sliding pickup, the works) then I'd have paid a grand - it's a damn sight cheaper than a second hand original.  But they've got enough things wrong here to say, no, would have had to have been < £750 for me to bite as it stands.

I'm no expert, but some Epiphone prices are getting ridiculous.

One reason I went with a Thundergun instead of a Thunderbird...the Reverend is expensive, but easily justifiable. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, MichaelDean said:

Looking at the specs, it's pearloid dots on a maple board, so pretty invisble, just like the Gibson originals.

They're pretty damn invisible in those shots.  Hopefully they'll take better pics when they have the actual units.

2 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

They're still not on the Eipiphone website. I saw them as a targeted ad on Instagram. I don't think it's meant to be live on the PMT website yet. If you search for "Grabber", they don't come up.

We're still officially in the hype stage.

If it had had the moving pickup I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Yes I'd probably have found the 'sweet spot' and never moved it again, but that's not the point.

As it is I reckon I'll wait for the G3.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2024 at 13:38, Cato said:

If it had had the moving pickup I wouldn't have been able to resist.

Yes I'd probably have found the 'sweet spot' and never moved it again, but that's not the point.

As it is I reckon I'll wait for the G3.

Same here I want a G3, that silver burst finish is gorgeous. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

That scratchplate/body mismatch is horrendous.

I'm starting to give less of a damn about it, to be honest.  But it's still at prototype stage, so maybe if we gripe and moan about it loudly enough they'll change it.  It worked on the Sire Z series lower horn after all (not that I had an issue with it)...

• Like 2