Why become a member? ×

New Preamp Day! Cranborne Audio

steviedee

Ah nice, this is who I work for (for the next two weeks anyway haha). Really glad you’re enjoying it! It’s a bit of a sleeper preamp for bass! Hyper clean, but then add it the Mojo to taste (I loooove cream for that). 

Tim Lefebvre’s preamp of choice for recording! 

Si // Cranborne Audio 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sibob said:

Ah nice, this is who I work for (for the next two weeks anyway haha). Really glad you’re enjoying it! It’s a bit of a sleeper preamp for bass! Hyper clean, but then add it the Mojo to taste (I loooove cream for that). 

Tim Lefebvre’s preamp of choice for recording! 

Si // Cranborne Audio

Awesome Si it’s great, if you are off to some new gig ….. good luck!

Edited by steviedee

2 hours ago, steviedee said:

Awesome Si it’s great, if you are off to some new gig ….. good luck!

Thanks, it’s a bittersweet move as they’re a great company making genuinely amazing gear!

16 minutes ago, steviedee said:

I’m keen to try the link out to a little valve amp I have and record a clean from the EC1 and an overdriven tone from the amp.

Yeah that’s a great way to work, loads of options!

Si

• Like 2

Fantastic box - I have an EC1 and 4x Camden 500 preamps. It’s an absolutely wonderful bass preamp ond top of being a top quality mic pre, studio processor, headphone amp, etc etc etc…

If I ever start gigging double bass again it will definitely be my rig, be it with a mic or a pickup (though you can’t blend between the two to send to FOH)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 01/06/2024 at 07:04, steviedee said:

I’m keen to try the link out to a little valve amp I have and record a clean from the EC1 and an overdriven tone from the amp.

Worth a try, but the 'Cream' setting on the Camden beats most amps for drive for my taste!

The 'Thump' is very good on clean bass though - it does something very nice. And try it in conjunction with the HPF - if you use a lot of Thump, the HPF can tame it in a nice way without stealing all your bottom end.

It's also a great IEM mixer.

I doubt we're a sizeable market for Cranborne, but a bass-specific version would be absolutely brilliant (and would be very appealing to any number of live acoustic instruments too)

*Two blendable inputs, with at least one of them switchable between mic and Hi-Z for double bassists (though I think you could do this with an EC2),

*Independent Thump and Cream controls (I often use two Camden 500 in series on bass in the studio, one on Thump and one on Cream)

*Slightly more gig friendly form factor

*9v outputs for tuner/other pedals

*Perhaps some extra magic sauce derived from the new Carnaby units (I'm really tempted with the stereo rack version of this for the studio!)

The 500 ADAT racks almost tick all the boxes for me too, brilliantly thought out, but a couple of drawbacks makes it unsuitable for my need (mainly that you can't select ADAT as source for the headphone amps, and that there's no independent access to the A/D and D/A stages - everything is tied to the 500 slots.)

Aled

Edited by Ramirez
  • Like 1

On 02/06/2024 at 08:25, Ramirez said:

Worth a try, but the 'Cream' setting on the Camden beats most amps for drive for my taste!

The 'Thump' is very good on clean bass though - it does something very nice. And try it in conjunction with the HPF - if you use a lot of Thump, the HPF can tame it in a nice way without stealing all your bottom end.

It's also a great IEM mixer.

I doubt we're a sizeable market for Cranborne, but a bass-specific version would be absolutely brilliant (and would be very appealing to any number of live acoustic instruments too)

*Two blendable inputs, with at least one of them switchable between mic and Hi-Z for double bassists (though I think you could do this with an EC2),

*Independent Thump and Cream controls (I often use two Camden 500 in series on bass in the studio, one on Thump and one on Cream)

*Slightly more gig friendly form factor

*9v outputs for tuner/other pedals

*Perhaps some extra magic sauce derived from the new Carnaby units (I'm really tempted with the stereo rack version of this for the studio!)

The 500 ADAT racks almost tick all the boxes for me too, brilliantly thought out, but a couple of drawbacks makes it unsuitable for my need (mainly that you can't select ADAT as source for the headphone amps, and that there's no independent access to the A/D and D/A stages - everything is tied to the 500 slots.)

Aled

Some interesting thoughts, I’ll pass them on 🙂

Si

• Like 1

On 02/06/2024 at 08:25, Ramirez said:

Great, now a preamp which did look interesting looks like it would be really interesting with extra bits. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Sibob said:

Some interesting thoughts, I’ll pass them on 🙂

Si

Great!

Hard to know what could be lost from the EC1 though - I've certainly found all the headphone mixer options and inputs useful in various in-ear monitoring scenarios.

The CAST is probably a bit redundant for performing bassists so could be dropped... but having said that, I've used that on stage with an N22 too!

Edited by Ramirez
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Owen said:

Great, now a preamp which did look interesting looks like it would be really interesting with extra bits. Thanks for that.

Ha! You're welcome to borrow one (or two...) if you want to try. I have 2x Camden 500 modules in a small chassis that's not seeing too much use at the moment (another four are in the main studio rack, and the EC1 goes wherever I go to solve all the unpredictable of mic pre/DI/reamping/monitoring problems I face from day to day!). A few days ago it was 'reamping' a real Steinway grand piano through a rotary speaker pedal in an opera recording on location... you can't do with that with all those other great bass preamps ;) !

Edited by Ramirez
  • Like 1

Just now, Ramirez said:

Ha! You're welcome to borrow one (or two...) if you want to try. I have 2x Camden 500 modules in a small chassis that's not seeing too much use at the moment (another four are in the main studio rack, and the EC1 goes wherever I go to solve all the unpredictable kinds of mic pre/DI/reamp/monitoring problems I face from day to day!)

Obv, I shall be PMing you within the next 30 seconds.