Why become a member? ×

14,000 plucks

Yesterday I did a gig (3 x 30-40 minute sets). Turns out each pluck of a double bass string registered as a step on my watch. During the gig it counted just over 14,000. I was quite impressed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

8 hours ago, Beedster said:

That’s either some busy double bass playing or a hell of a long gig?

Or Jazz 😀

I imagine there’s a large margin for error here!

I played 3 sets each for 40 - 45 minutes as well as tuning etc. 

I’ll do a more scientific test next time I can be bothered 

11 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

If I did 3 x 45 sets, that’s 135 minutes of playing, so an average of 100 plucks a minute. It’s uptempo retro blues and jazz (120bpm) so that sounds about right. 

Hope they paid you well for that rather impressive and I’d imagine quite tiring ppm rate Lawrie? I tend to hold firm at around 1/10 that unless there’s some serious cash on the table 😆

On 02/06/2024 at 07:41, Burns-bass said:

Yesterday I did a gig (3 x 30-40 minute sets). Turns out each pluck of a double bass string registered as a step on my watch. During the gig it counted just over 14,000. I was quite impressed.

I love this.

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

Hope they paid you well for that rather impressive and I’d imagine quite tiring ppm rate Lawrie? I tend to hold firm at around 1/10 that unless there’s some serious cash on the table 😆

I got paid £60 from the venue, plus 3 free craft beers. We earned £30 each in tips, so (give or take) £100.

Watch used was a Garmin Forerunner 45.

Here is the activity record… 

CF6AB2A8-BA8B-4148-820D-DF99E3AA6CF5.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

So Garmin use arm movement to estimate steps?

I’m no engineer or tech expert but assumed that’s how it works. I’m right handed but have always worn my watch on my right arm. (I bat and play golf left handed which is why!)

I’m guessing a man as fit and active as you probably has a cheapo fitness tracker somewhere, stick it on your right hand and give it a go.

It's satisfying how the number of "steps" tallies pretty closely with your calculation about the BPM and duration of the music!

Only way to know for sure is to play a three hour bebop set at 250bpm and see if the numbers go correspondingly higher :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...