Why become a member? ×

A Composition Challenge for June (with the mountains in bloom)

lurksalot

After another close run vote @xgsjx clinches the win with a great piece for the May challenge.

Inspiration for the month of June comes in the form of his own photo as he explains below..

"I took it from the necropolis in Glasgow a couple of months back. I think it’s a good mix of lots going on as well as being quite tranquil." 

image.png.da05145c3b768e3e0f903bb3c4f57510.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes/panpipes, though as the photo is from Scotland, if they are very low in the mix, it might slide.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline-wise, we will go for Midnight on the 24th (effectively Tea time on the 25th I guess) 

A line or two of blurb as usual for the vote thread will be super smashing. 

Good luck, Have fun 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The City awakes from its torpor, seemingly unaware or the approaching menace. Just across the horizon, gathering pace, intent on who knows what unspeakable havoc and destruction. Where is It from..? Why now..? What to do to ward off the inevitable..? Once Seen, It can never be Unseen. The City awakes...

A too vivid dream last night provoked playing around with a few scraps from my cutting room floor, snippets for which I can no longer find the original (Reaper...) source files. Messy, untidy, rather like the soon-to-be razed residences in its path, to be watched rather than listened to. Once Seen It can never be Unseen.

Edit : I uploaded the wrong video; sorry. This is the correct one. It's not better; just (a bit...) different soundtrack. :$

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

The city is calling me deep into it.  A city of beautiful places & faces, I'm always thinking of you.

I had fun doing this one.  Most parts are played on the Jupiter X, with the exception of the drums being NI Battery4, the ambient intro sound being NI Massive X & the leaky piano being NI Massive.
Vocals are your's truly making use of the fantastic vocal designer in the Jupiter X.

I've done some slight tweaks that I felt it needed.

Enjoy. 😎

Edited by xgsjx
Replaced track with new version.
  • Like 3

It's been a while but I'm going to try to get one in this month, but time is against me. There is an intro down, so while there may be a probe of this month's relaxed bagpipes rule, at least it's well within the five minute rule!

• Like 1

Two Jakeys sitting on a bench in the cemetery sharing a bottle of Bucky, one lights up a fat one...

Had lots of fun with echoes/reverbs/phasers on this one... Bass is a Sandberg Bassic, drums layered from individual Loopcloud sounds, main parts played via pads on Impulse keyboard. Guitars are a Strat, a Gretsch semi and ancient acoustic. Synths are Iris and AAS, plus Rhodes and clavi VSTs. Delays are Raum, Objeq and Dubstation 2. Mixed in Ableton with plenty of Neutron 3 and Ozone 9...

• Like 2

I’m just about there with mine , it’s very simple / minimal which means of course, that it’s taken me all month to learn it, so that I can actually play it!

of course the kicker is that I do need words on it , that will take me all weekend doing vocal takes and fiddling with auto tune.

ah well , the sun is shining , so I can look at it through the window I guess 😁

Posted (edited)

OK Ive got it done as best as I have got time for .

The last time I went to Glasgow I took the train. It was on a weekend away with a bunch of lads from the Round Table. We had a great night out and gathered for breakfast in the morning. The TV's all around the hotel reception and bars were all showing the latest BBC news which was a derailment on the west coast mainline. After a couple of minutes, it became clear that we were on the previous train through Grayrigg and could easily have been in the mangled wreckage of the incident.

Very sobering at the time, and then again, when it was the replacement bus service from Carlisle to Preston on the way back.

A tale like this deserves a folky approach... and probably a far better effort than this, and better story telling aswell, but that is the fleshing out of the tale that is skimmed over in the lament.

Yamaha acoustic guitar, a bit of EZ drumming percussion, a small pinch of MIDI fiddle , and about a 100 vocal takes spliced down into a couple of minutes worth of usable lines.

mixed in Reaper with a smothering of Ozone 8 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1

Ta-da! As inevitable as night follows day, here's my late, late entry.

Is the city just waking up to face the rigours of the day or is the night approaching with all its alluring features? It matters not; everyday, the good folk of the city are making life-changing decisions, for better or worse.

And, after that pretentious twaddle, I'll tell you that this was laid down with a HB Tele, Westfield P-bass, Vivlex echo pedal, Roland Cube, drums and synth sounds provided by Ableton. Recorded with the dynamic duo of Wavepad and Audacity.

I've failed - the last two weeks have been super-busy and I was away for Le Mans - it's still just an intro 😢. I was rather proud of the Uilleann pipes. Maybe next time.

On 29/06/2024 at 12:50, LiverpoolBassPlayer said:

Bugger, didn’t read the rules and missed the deadline. 

I’ll enter the next one… hopefully. 

for those interested this was to be my submission…

https://on.soundcloud.com/pKyNwKDC3AA5xXeN7

good luck all

Pete

Oh My Days , this is just for fun you know ;)

Thats a great tune Pete, you should go and play that tonight at Prowsey's cavern do. 

Join in , all are welcome 

Lurks