Why become a member? ×

Clean sounding Bass amps

Posted (edited)

Looking for suggestions for clean sounding amps 500w or greater 

So the opposite of warm and vintage 

I know the Genzler MG800 is clean, so is my TE1200 and EBS Reidmar but looking for other ideas ? 

Edited by BassAdder60

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

Looking for suggestions for clean sounding class D amps 500w or greater 

So the opposite of warm and vintage 

I know the Genzler MG800 is clean, so is my TE1200 and EBS Reidmar but looking for other ideas ? 

I have a Tecamp Puma 900. Headroom for weeks. I settled on it mostly because I like the "Taste" control, and I use it at the "Rich" end of the dial. But I had someone try it out yesterday, more of a rock player and he set it flat and he loved it. At the bass bash a couple of weeks ago we directly compared my amp with the latest Eich T900, and we couldn't hear a difference. They are a good match with BF cabs too.

Rob

• Like 2

All of these are great suggestions. Would also be worth considering GK Legacy 800, Aguilar AG700, Bergantino Forte D (750W I think) or Forte HP2 )1200W).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JGSpector said:

All of these are great suggestions. Would also be worth considering GK Legacy 800, Aguilar AG700, Bergantino Forte D (750W I think) or Forte HP2 )1200W).

@GreeneKing brought a GK Legacy 800 to the Bass Bash. We tried it through my 2 x BF Super Compacts. We were quite impressed with it, to the extent that I've now started looking for one secondhand.

I also have a Bergantino Forte D, which I was going to sell until I ordered my BF 3x10 and now I want to try it through that. It's probably the most open natural sounding amp I've ever tried, but for me, with a P bass with flats and the tone rolled off a bit, I couldn't quite get get the mid sweet enough with the BF 12's. But I do like a lot of low mid. I can see why the Berg costs that much more though, it is a classy bit of kit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I have a Tecamp Puma 900. Headroom for weeks. I settled on it mostly because I like the "Taste" control, and I use it at the "Rich" end of the dial. But I had someone try it out yesterday, more of a rock player and he set it flat and he loved it. At the bass bash a couple of weeks ago we directly compared my amp with the latest Eich T900, and we couldn't hear a difference. They are a good match with BF cabs too.

Another vote for the Tecamp Puma 900.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Yep I’m hearing good things about Tecamp Puma 

Just need to find one 

This is the same amp, albeit new. They can be had for about half this price secondhand, but I haven't seen many come up. A 500 sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago for less than £300.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/eich_amplification_t900.htm

Rob

4 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

FWIW the power amp class has very little to do with clean versus colored. That's mainly the product of the pre-amp section.

This. As long as you avoid models such as Tonehammers, where the preamps have been designed to recreate a more "vintage" voicing, you'll be fine with any good quality amp. Go shopping and try a few of the alternatives out.

2 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve taken a leap of faith and ordered the EICH T900 black edition !

You are bold, it cannot be denied.

In the absence of being able to try multiple amps in gigging situations, we are forced to take leaps of faith more often than we would like. The Tecamp Puma 900 I have, which is identical to the amp you've ordered, is about as close as I've got to the tone in my head so far. I too play P basses and BF cabs. It does have plenty of the "H" word. (Still not sure why we can't say heft! ha ha)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Raslee said:

Got a Tecamp Puma 900 from Bass Bro a few weeks back. As already been said they truly are great amps. Your Eich will be awesome. 
IMG_7277.thumb.jpeg.76850345646eaf4647f57b6e04fc553e.jpeg

Pairs well with the SuperTwin ? 

On 02/06/2024 at 19:33, ossyrocks said:

@GreeneKing brought a GK Legacy 800 to the Bass Bash. We tried it through my 2 x BF Super Compacts. We were quite impressed with it, to the extent that I've now started looking for one secondhand.

I also have a Bergantino Forte D, which I was going to sell until I ordered my BF 3x10 and now I want to try it through that. It's probably the most open natural sounding amp I've ever tried, but for me, with a P bass with flats and the tone rolled off a bit, I couldn't quite get get the mid sweet enough with the BF 12's. But I do like a lot of low mid. I can see why the Berg costs that much more though, it is a classy bit of kit.

This is interesting. I play a pbass with roto 66 dead rounds. I was looking to pick up the 10 inch BF cab but wasn’t sure on amp. Mitch Friedman who works for labella plays pbass, flats and berg. Tone is INSANE. I’ll drop you a PM to pick your brain 

This little thread has been insightful. On the weekend I was looking at the eich t-500 and 900, mesa d-800 and the v2 of Aguilars amp demos. 

ossyrocks is so right about having to make a leap of faith more often than we would like. Sad thing for me as I’m not great buying blind lmao. 

All great suggestions. You're already well equipped. 

The most noteworthy suggestion is try till you get tired of it. The world has a lot to offer for bass players these days. 

My studio is a testament.

My 0.02 worth.

Mesa Subway. I love the D-800+.

If you really want tone that puts a smile on your face.

Epifani UL901. 

If ya wanna do it right.

QuadCortex.

8 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Pairs well with the SuperTwin ? 

Oh yes indeed! Although this is a Big Twin but gather they’re similar. Dare I use that expression ‘tone nirvana’ and not in a Kurt way, although pretty sure it would cover that sound too. It’s a very versatile setup which is what I was seeking as I need something that would do most of the typical genres but also not struggle with a warm deep low end. I’m really happy with both the amp and cab combination. 

• Thanks 1

I can only talk about experience, but my Markbass CMD12 has a LMII head, I've used an LMIII head and I've found them very clean. I've got a TCBH800 and that's way WAY warmer and more vintage by comparison, even with the EQ flat.

• Like 1

We measured several amps amps at the South West Bass Bash a few years ago. The Ashdown RM series are flat with all EQ at noon and non of the effects engaged as are the Bugera Veyron 1001M Mosfet. There were a number of lower powered amps that also measured substantially flat but these were the only two in the 500W plus club from memory. I will check later that we did not check any other higher powered ones.

Most Class D heads are flat via the line in/power amp input/ EFX return but the above amps were measured form the instrument input.

• Like 1

On 02/06/2024 at 18:19, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

FWIW the power amp class has very little to do with clean versus colored. That's mainly the product of the pre-amp section.

I suspect "class D" could be replaced with "small and lightweight" in this case :)

• BassAdder60 changed the title to Clean sounding Bass amps