Why become a member? ×

Wiring issue

"Accidentally" bought another bass recently. Low ball ebay bid which actually won!!!

Few issues,  including a couple of loose wires.

Note the white and red wires. Any ideas where they should go??

20240602_192306.jpg

20240602_192258.jpg

Are you sure it has a pan pot? That looks like the classic jazz bass VVT setup.

It looks like the red wire had come away from the tone pot and the white from the middle volume pot. Difficult to say exactly where from the pics but there will be signs of solder and no wires to give you a clue or just Google Jazz Bass Wiring and follow the diagram.

• Like 2

What @BassBunny said. The white is from the pickup and would be the hot wire so should go to the centre of the middle pot. I think the red wire goes to the centre terminal of the end (tone) pot, as long as that's not where the earth is connected to. The way the jack socket is wired up seems a little odd to me, but I'm not familiar with the conventions of VVT wiring - it will work as the two volumes and the tone are all in parallel but it seems odd to run a wire from the furthest possible point (neck volume) to the jack socket.

WDUSS2101__39393.1481759758.jpg

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

As said white wire should be soldered to the center lug of the middle pot, and the red wire to the sleeve of output jack socket.

No, red wire to centre lug of tone pot. Connecting it to the sleeve of the output jack will result in no output.

• 2 weeks later...