Why become a member? ×

Great Eastern FX - XO Crossover.

NancyJohnson

If you subscribe to basscentric You Tube channels you should have seen this beauty by now.

Man alive, how I could have used this a few years ago rather than trying to build tone off a variety of guitar distortions (GT2), BDDI/VTBASS stomps and ABY boxes.

Sadness is that while the XO will integrate with most boards, the new Tech21 XB driver stomp will/should be a one box solution.

ec9d33_d47a0d72ecf04b29be757397492b195d~

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Love this, better footprint than the KMA Tyler, but as I have up to 3 drives on my board and I know at least one flips the phase, which will cancel out the lows, plus then you gotta get a decent comp to chuck in the low loop too.

Are there mini phase flipper pedals like the Saturn works buffer you can chuck after a phase flipping pedal?  . . . 

Great on paper, if your using it for maybe 1 drive pedal, but expensive just for that, and there are a fair few out there now with decent clean blends / crossovers built in.

Edited by Stofferson
  • Like 1

I've never really been a fan of multi-effect setups (we're talking chorus/flange/octave pedals etc, not drive pedals at this juncture); for years I've gone through Sansamp drives, these sound perfectly good for my needs, but where other outboard kit falls over for me is where the entire signal path goes through one effect unit. 

I guess the XO is giving you the facility to just route highs or lows through individual loops and squirt it back to the main output, also obviating the necessity of running two amps as well (in certain set ups).  When I think back to how I was running a stereo power amp into two cabinets, splitter front end to GT2/BDDI.  It sounded decent enough, but tonally it was all or nothing over both outputs.

A X-over is the way to really tweak the high end (*) while keeping low end clear and functional. After trying many OD/fuzz/dist pedals, X-over made many of them functional if the full band sound was miserable (like they so often tended to be). Flanger/chorus is the same, you can adjust all parametres freely, and the low end stays intact.

(*) To me high end here means frequencies over 400 Hz. Your cross over f may vary.

• Like 1