Why become a member? ×

original painting Fender jazz bass 1974 (January)

Hello, good afternoon. I turn to you for help and wisdom. I have an option to acquire a 1974 Fender Jazz bass, and the owner previous to the current one stripped and varnished it... I would like to return it to its original state (sunburst surely...)

Here are my two questions:

First - what would be the paint that it would originally have? (nitro or poly)

Second - what would you paint it?

thank you so much .

OK, thanks a lot. I just didn't know which one was the original... The second question was if you were to repaint it... which one would you use. I like the relic, and I think you can only get that with nitro... What surprises me is seeing on the web, or reverb... how worn the originals are... I thought the poly didn't wear out that much.

• Like 1

If I was to have one refinished I’d probably go for a nitro very light relic so in time it would age naturally, 

some from around those years are in very good condition and some are quite worn, I suppose it would depend on how well it’s been looked after and how much it was used, my 71 precision had one owner before me and he played it a lot for many years, it’s quite worn but still plays great, also I think you can also find that some have been aged unnaturally 

• Like 2

So, silly example (but relevant I think), I acquired an old 60s Vespa last year and had it restored. Originally it was black/white but I thought it boring, so with no regard to originality I painted it orange and yellow (b@llocks to it I thought, I just wanted it my fav colours). 
So, in answer to what colour, I would say whatever is your fav finish. Sunburst obviously a classic…. Or maybe salmon pink so it stands out from the crowd. 

• Like 2

haha, good example xD

If the finish is clear to me which one I want (sunburst) the doubt was in the type of paint... whether to paint it in poly or nitro... (I have never had a nitro and I will probably opt for that)

7 minutes ago, IosuBass said:

haha, good example xD

If the finish is clear to me which one I want (sunburst) the doubt was in the type of paint... whether to paint it in poly or nitro... (I have never had a nitro and I will probably opt for that)

Get it done in a 'burst' salmon pink!

Paint it if that is what you want.....it's already been refinished, so you aren't defacing a classic (old boomer self wants to mention that we used to scoff at 70's vintage Fenders...:)...NOT scoffing now, though...)

• Like 1