Why become a member? ×

Cheap wireless dongle that actually works with active/high output bass?

Looking for a dongle style wireless to use at rehearsals, won't be for gigging as I only need it so I can move away from the provided amp and our drummer at the rehearsal spaces we use, basically to make best use of space without trailing cables everywhere.

Bought a cheap Aklot 2.4g unit as our guitarist uses one for the same purpose but it doesn't play particularly nicely with my gigging basses which are all active. Seen the WP-5G models which use 5.8g and are supposed to be ok from posts on TB but wondering if anybody here has experience. Is there anything out there or are the only usable options more expensive?

I always gig with a cable and wired IEMs so will just be used at practice really.

22 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Nice one thanks, will have a look at that. My gigging basses are all active 5 strings.

I did try the Aklot one with my only passive bass and it did the same thing but to a lesser extent (the odd crackle and dips in signal level), that has a DImarzio Model P in it so maybe that's still too much. May try and borrow a guitar off a mate to check it's not a faulty unit.

Lekato WS-50 - use it all the time, for rehearsals, open mic nights, and gigs. Have also bought a Lekato WS-90 recently which is a bit bigger, has a longer battery life (the WS-50 isn't bad at 4+ hours) and can be switched to any of four channels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Lekato WS-50 - use it all the time, for rehearsals, open mic nights, and gigs. Have also bought a Lekato WS-90 recently which is a bit bigger, has a longer battery life (the WS-50 isn't bad at 4+ hours) and can be switched to any of four channels.

I take it this works with actives too, you have an Ibaneeez like mine I think?

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

I take it this works with actives too, you have an Ibaneeez like mine I think?

Yes, everything of mine is active - used with an Ibanez EHB1265MS and various others (Warwick, Sei, for example). One point - if you have one of the recessed socket Ibanezezezes like the SRF705, the WS-50 doesn't quite get in there but the WS-90 does.

• Thanks 1

Weirdly enough I tested the Aklot again one earlier after fully charging the batteries again and it was a little better, still the odd dropout and weird sporadic inteference sounds on long notes. Was most reliable with my fretless (Duncan Designed pickups and Artec preamp) but still not 100%. Unplugged my mixing desk, laptop and moved my phone away from the area but made no difference. Tried it with my piezo equipped Sinsonido and got a huge loss of signal..

Batteries were fully charged prior to testing it previously so no idea really.

Just now, tauzero said:

Yes, everything of mine is active - used with an Ibanez EHB1265MS and various others (Warwick, Sei, for example). One point - if you have one of the recessed socket Ibanezezezes like the SRF705, the WS-50 doesn't quite get in there but the WS-90 does.

I don't have any basses with recessed sockets, hate those things! My old Ibanez EDB 555 had one and I had to buy a new straight jack cable.

Just gone for the WS-90 for £47 delivered on eBay, thought it best to stay away from the 2.4g version dongles as one of our rehearsal rooms has a crazy amount of wifi stuff going on, not sure what sort of operation he's running in there but the first time we tested our XR18 there we could barely connect to it with one device using the built in router.

Cheers guys, hopefully it makes my life a little easier and my ears feel the benefit of being on the other side of the room from the drum kit!

I know you've bought one, but if anyone else is interested... I use the Subzero guitar bug

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/SubZero-Pocket-Guitar-Bug-Digital-Wireless-System/33F7

It works with my active Basses (MM StingRays and Sterling), it's 5.8GHz so hopefully no interference, 4 switchable channels (with different coloured lights!), USB charging, worked a treat at many gigs and rehearsals, highly reccomended.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I know you've bought one, but if anyone else is interested... I use the Subzero guitar bug

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/SubZero-Pocket-Guitar-Bug-Digital-Wireless-System/33F7

It works with my active Basses (MM StingRays and Sterling), it's 5.8GHz so hopefully no interference, 4 switchable channels (with different coloured lights!), USB charging, worked a treat at many gigs and rehearsals, highly reccomended.

I did buy one but got a message this morning saying the seller had just one in stock and it was faulty, they relisted with the item location in China so probably one of those with a fake UK address that ships express from overseas. Annoying but will ahve a look at that Sub Zero one, cheers!

I also saw this one that apparently uses UHF for £40:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403107968206

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I did buy one but got a message this morning saying the seller had just one in stock and it was faulty, they relisted with the item location in China so probably one of those with a fake UK address that ships express from overseas. Annoying but will ahve a look at that Sub Zero one, cheers!

I also saw this one that apparently uses UHF for £40:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403107968206

Subzero is Gear4music's own brand stuff, it's probably the same innards as the Joyo, Lekato, Xvive, Thomann own-brand and all the other cheapo versions.

I got a Lekato wireless XLR (about £70) for my IEMs and it's been great (so far, touch wood), a few folk on here use their wireless guitar bugs and rate them, an IRL friend uses one and likes it and forty quid seems like it's worth a punt.

Get a wireless XLR *AND* the guitar bug and go full wireless - wandering on to the dancefloor at a gig is a great laugh.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Subzero is Gear4music's own brand stuff, it's probably the same innards as the Joyo, Lekato, Xvive, Thomann own-brand and all the other cheapo versions.

I got a Lekato wireless XLR (about £70) for my IEMs and it's been great (so far, touch wood), a few folk on here use their wireless guitar bugs and rate them, an IRL friend uses one and likes it and forty quid seems like it's worth a punt.

Get a wireless XLR *AND* the guitar bug and go full wireless - wandering on to the dancefloor at a gig is a great laugh.

I'm sure the old dears at the social clubs I play at would love me having a wander during an Abba or Tina Turner number!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I'm sure the old dears at the social clubs I play at would love me having a wander during an Abba or Tina Turner number!

Get in among them for Dancing Queen, they'll love it!

23 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

They say it does not work with active basses.

51 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I don't get it. Why wouldn't it work? Lo-Z signal it cannot be, levels are practically the same as with hi-Z. Sounds strange.

58 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

3 minutes ago, itu said:

I don't get it. Why wouldn't it work? Lo-Z signal it cannot be, levels are practically the same as with hi-Z. Sounds strange.

The subzero guitar bug I have definitely works fine with all of my active Basses (EBMM StingRay 4, EBMM StingRay 5 and EBMM Sterling 4).
It looks exactly like the one I linked to, I bought it used from BC.
The G4M site does say they don't work with active pickups, I've no idea why - the only thing I can think of is *maybe* they used to use a stereo jack? For some reason? Which *might* cause issues with a stereo jack socket? Which some (?) active Basses use?
Or maybe some active pickups have a really hot signal? Which it doesn't like?
This is just an uneducated guess!

Mine works with my Ernie Ball Basses, YMMV!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

G4M got back to me, they reckon:

"Unfortunately the power going through active pickups would most likely cause interference with the transmitter."

So make of that what you will.

Edited by StingRayBoy42
  • Confused 1

Sounds rather suspect to me, especially as most active basses have passive pickups (BRX is going to pop up any second to say that there's no such thing as an active pickup). My Thumbs have active pickups (EMG and MEC, defining an active pickup as one that contains a preamp within the pickup body) and neither cause problems with any of my wirelessesses.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2024 at 16:23, itu said:

I agree, most modern basses have the active output level set to that of a passive bass.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2024 at 21:24, tauzero said:

For reference, I also have Lekato WS-50 and it works with all my basses, they are all active  - an Ibanez, a Musicman and a Sire. They also worked fine with passive basses I owned previously. I haven't yet had any issue at all with connections or interference.  I like the price, size and simplicity - playing without a cable is so much nicer, would have liked a longer battery life but it hasn't actually caused me any issues because so far I have always remembered to charge them between sessions!