Why become a member? ×

Cheap wireless dongle that actually works with active/high output bass?

On 05/06/2024 at 16:38, StingRayBoy42 said:

The subzero guitar bug I have definitely works fine with all of my active Basses (EBMM StingRay 4, EBMM StingRay 5 and EBMM Sterling 4).
It looks exactly like the one I linked to, I bought it used from BC.
The G4M site does say they don't work with active pickups, I've no idea why - the only thing I can think of is *maybe* they used to use a stereo jack? For some reason? Which *might* cause issues with a stereo jack socket? Which some (?) active Basses use?
Or maybe some active pickups have a really hot signal? Which it doesn't like?
This is just an uneducated guess!

Mine works with my Ernie Ball Basses, YMMV!

This is part of it. I've never had a problem with volume from active basses, it's the noise from the switching system. My Stingray (with a John East preamp) is just fine but both my Spectors present a constant whining sound through the bugs. A 30cm 1/4" extender cable sorts it out.

17 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Been testing the WS-90 over the last couple of evenings, works a treat thanks guys!

I used mine at a 3 hour rehearsal and a 2.5 hour open mic night without a recharge. Next time I use it will be a gig tomorrow so I decided it would be prudent to charge up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I used mine at a 3 hour rehearsal and a 2.5 hour open mic night without a recharge. Next time I use it will be a gig tomorrow so I decided it would be prudent to charge up.

That's more than enough for me, thinking about using it for gigs now as the draw of wireless bass and IEMs is getting stronger!

44 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

That's more than enough for me, thinking about using it for gigs now as the draw of wireless bass and IEMs is getting stronger!

I'm trying IEMs for the first time this weekend, but once you've done wireless bass you never go back. Seriously, I don't think I've played a gig with a cable in 15 years. Even at home I have a set of the Amoon bugs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jack said:

I'm trying IEMs for the first time this weekend, but once you've done wireless bass you never go back. Seriously, I don't think I've played a gig with a cable in 15 years. Even at home I have a set of the Amoon bugs.

It'll only be going from my preamp pedal at my feet so should be ok, will have a jack lead handy anyway in case it fails. It's the wireless IEMs dongle I'm most looking forward to as that's the one that annoys me.

5 hours ago, Jack said:

This is part of it. I've never had a problem with volume from active basses, it's the noise from the switching system. My Stingray (with a John East preamp) is just fine but both my Spectors present a constant whining sound through the bugs. A 30cm 1/4" extender cable sorts it out.

Just out of interest, are your Spectors shielded?

23 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Just out of interest, are your Spectors shielded?

The Euro is (it wasn't but I replaced the preamp), the Pulse isn't. Unless there's tape or some other shielding in behind the plastic in the cavity?

Neither have issues with my Shure wireless that I gig with.