Why become a member? ×

Pedal Order on pedalboard?

Linus27

I'm just after a little bit of advise or the order I should have my pedal's on my pedalboard. At the moment, I current have the following,

Bass 

OC5 Octave (Used on and off to add thickness and for effect)

Zoom MS-60B (Used on and off to add some ambient sounds)

EBS UniChorus (Used on and off to add some chorus and used in conjunction with the Zoom MS-60B)

Walrus Audio Slo Reverb (Used on and off to add some ambient sounds and used in conjunction with the EBS UniChorus)

Mooer A7 Ambient Reverb (On most of the time to add some reverb)

Ampeg Opti Compressor (On all of the time)

Sansamp BDDI (On all of the time)

Amp

I'm just wondering if the Mooer A7 Reverb which is on pretty much on all the time should be first in the chain before the pedals that are turned on or off or it should be where it is after those pedals?

normally I would go octave, drive, comp, preamp, modulation, delay, reverb

With that much modulation reverb I would be tempted to try putting the comp after the octave 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would go:

Compressor -> Octaver -> Chorus -> Mooer Reverb -> Zoom ambient effects -> SLO Reverb -> Sansamp Preamp

Octavers usually benefits from having a compressor before them, and reverb doesn't sound good with compressor after it, but I do like the sound of reverb into delay, which you would normally do the other way, produce a bit more washed out bigger sound.

Depending on how exactly you use the Zoom and the SLO one could argue they'd swap spot as well, and one could also argue one of them going after the preamp instead of before.

In the end it all depends on how exactly you use these pedals and what kind of sound exactly you are going for, there are no rules set in stone of how to order pedals, in the right context pretty much any order goes.

But given I get the impression that you do a lot of ambient stuff I would recommend the first above order I stated.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I would go:

Compressor -> Octaver -> Chorus -> Mooer Reverb -> Zoom ambient effects -> SLO Reverb -> Sansamp Preamp

Octavers usually benefits from having a compressor before them, and reverb doesn't sound good with compressor after it, but I do like the sound of reverb into delay, which you would normally do the other way, produce a bit more washed out bigger sound.

Depending on how exactly you use the Zoom and the SLO one could argue they'd swap spot as well, and one could also argue one of them going after the preamp instead of before.

In the end it all depends on how exactly you use these pedals and what kind of sound exactly you are going for, there are no rules set in stone of how to order pedals, in the right context pretty much any order goes.

But given I get the impression that you do a lot of ambient stuff I would recommend the first above order I stated.

Thank you, I'll give this go and see how it sounds. The Mooer Reverb has now gone as the Slo Reverb is a much better unit but at the moment, the Slo is being used purely as a reverb unit. It's new so I'm still working it out so it might be used for some ambient swells a little later on but I think mostly for reverb. The Zoom is used to create those ambient swells using reverb and auto volume delay so a lot more of an effect.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Thank you, I'll give this go and see how it sounds. The Mooer Reverb has now gone as the Slo Reverb is a much better unit but at the moment, the Slo is being used purely as a reverb unit. It's new so I'm still working it out so it might be used for some ambient swells a little later on but I think mostly for reverb. The Zoom is used to create those ambient swells using reverb and auto volume delay so a lot more of an effect.

In that case I would probably place the SLO before the Zoom, so like this:

Compressor -> Octaver -> Chorus -> SLO Reverb -> Zoom ambient effects -> Sansamp Preamp

But if you use the Sansamp for dirt I would recommend placing it before the Zoom, like this: 

Compressor -> Octaver -> Chorus -> SLO Reverb -> Sansamp Preamp/Dirt -> Zoom ambient effects

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1