Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Electra pickup changes?

NicoMcJ

I've recently bought a Sandberg Electra P-style as I'm currently working for a Britpop tribute act and none of my "metal" basses really looked the part.

I love it; it's light, well balanced, looks fab and plays like a dream.

However, the pickup in it is hot as hell.  Significantly more output than all of my other basses.  It's screwed down into the body almost as far as it will go and it's still really, really hot.  I remember having this issue with my previous German Sandbergs.

Could I put a more traditional P-bass pickup in there?  Would it play nicely with the preamp?  My previous German models had an active/passive switch with a traditional tone control but the Electra doesn't have this feature.

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Use the pad button or low input socket on your amp.

It's more an issue of switching between basses mid-gig.  Also, I dont use an amp.

Posted (edited)

Buy a cheap graphic EQ pedal, put everything in center, except for the volume slider, adjust the volume slider so that the output of your Sandberg matches your other basses, engage said EQ pedal each time you swap to the Sandberg.

If you still want to go through with the pickup swap though I'd suggest an EMG Geezer Butler signature P pickup.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Or you could get a Boss LS-2, that would allow you to have two basses plugged in at the same time, and it would allow you to individually adjust the volume of both and to swap between them simply by pressing the footswitch.

And if you got another setup where you only use one bass, the LS-2 can also be used as effects loop and signal blender, for instance for blending a distortion pedal with parallel clean signal.

Or if you feel adventurous mix for example a flanger pedal in parallel with a phaser, that combination sounds pretty amazing.

A bit of a swish army knife utility pedal.

Can both work as a line/signal path selector with volume controls for each individual line/signal path, or as an effects looper with parallel blend functionality.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sam10 said:

Are you sure it is because of the pickup not the preamp? Any gain trimmer in your onboard preamp?

Reasonably sure, I've had a couple of German Sandbergs with this pickup.  It a P-Bass pickup shape but with MM polepieces. It's a beast.