Why become a member? ×

Shorter scale bass (for a lady)

Lady who runs our local OM would like a bass, she wants to play The Chain. She’s a good pianist, talented singer and passable acoustic guitard

she has fairly small hands and didn’t realise that shorter scale basses were available. Can anyone, particularly female members, suggest a non bank breaking choice ?

I thought of mustangs and 32” fender style basses 

Ignoring the fact that I am currently selling one - the mustang is perfect as it is not only short scale, its quite a small neck in general, and also pretty cheap (there is also the bronco, even cheaper). But I am not female so don't match that part of the criteria.

Harley Benton do some short scale basses that are often praised on here - have a look

at them on Thomann website. From my experience of SS basses, 32 inch scale doesn’t

feel much different to 34 inch. Dropping down to 30 inch scale models does, so that 

would include Mustangs - you don’t mention a budget but they start at around £350 

for the Squier CV60. 
A friend of mine wanted a shorty bass for his teenage daughter, and I found him

an Ibanez TMB30 Talman which was an ace thing - she’s just done her first gig with

it. As usual, secondhand is always worth considering to get more bang for your buck. 
Also if weight / body style is a consideration as well as scale length then best to see

if your friend can try a few out to find something that feels right for her. 

Posted (edited)

image.png.f108c82a003868ba7af2fa27725836a6.png

Short scale, light and in a nice red.... tempted to get one myself actually.

PS just listened to the sound samples on the Thomann site.... has a really good tone. Even more tempted now!

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 3

For a first short scale I would go for a Harley Benton PB Shorty all day long.  I believe they were £65 when I got mine, currently £85.  When they first came out I bought one as a modding platform but, when it arrived, found I didn't need to and gigged it straight out of the box.  Stock pickup was a great vintage P bass tone.  I have since put a Tonerider pickup in it because I wanted a bit more oomph and bite; I also changed the pickguard to a black one 'cos I don't like black basses with white pickguards.  These were both a matter of personal choice rather than any fault.  If I were being uber-picky I'd say the tuners are a little scratchy but they work just fine - replacing them would cost more than the bass!  The fret ends could do with a file but I have had worse on basses costing 6x as much.  The biggest disadvantage about these I would say is the credibility issues around how cheap they are - it is almost impossible to believe you get a decent bass for such a small amount of cash.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

image.png.f108c82a003868ba7af2fa27725836a6.png

Short scale, light and in a nice red.... tempted to get one myself actually.

PS just listened to the sound samples on the Thomann site.... has a really good tone. Even more tempted now!

A Dano Longhorn was going to be my first recommendation, although price and their somewhat ‘Marmite’ 

appeal made me reconsider. That red one looks ace though! 

For a casual OM turn on a bass, HB Shorty P all the way.

I've had mine for over a decade and I've done nothing to it. At all. It's still got the strings on it came with. Didn't even need to touch the trussrod or intonation. Still going strong and sounds Brill.

This coming from a serial bass fettler/buyer/seller is high praise indeed!

Cheapest new bass I've ever bought too (apart from a HB deko) which really does make me question my otherwise very expensive habit 😂

It's short but sounds like a grown up P 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Ignoring the fact that I am currently selling one - the mustang is perfect as it is not only short scale, its quite a small neck in general, and also pretty cheap (there is also the bronco, even cheaper). But I am not female so don't match that part of the criteria.

I have 2 of these Squiers and they are excellent basses, def get my recommendations. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

First port of call would be those Harley Benton Mustang clones I would think.

I just like the colours really.

Yes they do look fab 👍

Another option is the Luna Tattoo Shorty. They were originally designed by a lady with diminutive ladies in mind too.

I've not played one but they're good by all accounts.

I like the phases of the moon inlays especially...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/luna_guitars_tattoo_short_scale_bass.htm

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I've heard lots of good things about the Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro basses. 29" scale and very light. 

My daughter has a Micro bass and I would totally recommend it for someone needing a small bass. I bought a HB Shorty for £40 recently and after a clean and set up it is great. The neck on the HB is much chunkier than the Ibanez which may be a consideration. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

Yes they do look fab 👍

Another option is the Luna Tattoo Shorty. They were originally designed by a lady with diminutive ladies in mind too.

I've not played one but they're good too by all acounts.

I like the phases of the moon inlays especially...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/luna_guitars_tattoo_short_scale_bass.htm

I keep looking at the 5 string jazz they do in the same colour, if it had a rear access panel and a battery box I'd be in danger.

• Haha 1