Why become a member? ×

Best low/mid-price class D amp

I've been happy using my EBS350 for years, but it is flight cased and it's too heavy. 

I'm getting old(er) and things like that annoy me. When I gig with the Trace Elliot Elf it's a lot easier. So, I want to know what the best mid-price Class D lightweight amp is. I'm not buying used, so new recommendtions are appreciated. I have a modular set up with lightweight Barefaced cabs. 

Basically. I'm just sick of lugging the EBS around.

I have used Aguilar before, but happy for recommendations for any manufacturer. I use a jazz bass or vintage Grabber bass with flats and play jazz, funk and blues. Bascially, if it sounds like it's frmo the late 60s-mid 70s, I'm all good. 

46 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ll never tire of recommending the Ashdown RM amps. Lightweight, powerful, sound great and excellent customer service.

Appreciate this. I like the EBS but I'm not dead set on them and have heard good things about Ashdown too. 

I play mid-sized venues (up to 200 people mostly, any more and I'm going through the PA). 

Which would you recommend here? 500 or 800?

Posted (edited)

I would say the Ashdown RM800 would be a great amp to go for especially as they are selling off their B stock 

For that money they cannot be beat in my opinion 

Orange LBT is a nice alternative and sensible price too or MarkBass LM IV 

Also the EBS Reidmar 752 is a fantastic amp and often overlooked ( it’s also very loud ) 

At the high end you’ve got the amazing Trace Elliot TE1200 

Edited by BassAdder60

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Appreciate this. I like the EBS but I'm not dead set on them and have heard good things about Ashdown too. 

I play mid-sized venues (up to 200 people mostly, any more and I'm going through the PA). 

Which would you recommend here? 500 or 800?

Well I`ve got the 500, aside from a couple of gigs in pubs have always gone through FOH. The band weren`t keen on too much bass in the monitors so the rig always carried the on-stage sound and it never struggled, even on some pretty big stages (prob 1000 capacity venues). Having used it a couple of times without FOH it more than delivered but I think I`d go 800 if possible, doesn`t hurt to have more power than is needed.

Posted (edited)

Ashdown have an enviable reputation for customer service in the UK and having used it I can confirm it is good. Not that any Ashdown has ever failed me ( Dave Green did a change I had requested). Get the 800 though. It has the superb 700AS1 module form ICEPower

Bugera Veyron. Mine is 4 years old and correction I just found the receipt and it is close to 6 years old and has never missed a best. Forget the hype about 2000W, It does however push out in excess of 700W into 4 ohms, and about 380W into 8 Ohms.

Cannot comment on Markbass. can't stand orange amps so never tried one although  I would steer clear of their cabs, as @Phil Starr says, they are a bit "shouty".

Avoid the Aguilar TH range as they are probably not ideal for the music you play.

Next...

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

I have a Harley Benton Block 800b as a backup amp. Surprisingly capable and very reliable, for not that much money.

Most "800w" amps will have the same ICE class D poweramp and even audiophile amplifiers use them (often a lower wattage). The character is made in the preamps.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bolo said:

I have a Harley Benton Block 800b as a backup amp. Surprisingly capable and very reliable, for not that much money.

Most "800w" amps will have the same ICE class D poweramp and even audiophile amplifiers use them (often a lower wattage). The character is made in the preamps.

The original did indeed have the 700AS1 module used by Ashdown, Mesa and others. In fairness to Mesa and @agedhorse, he d beveloped a pateneted technique to squeeze more power than others form that module but even used as described as recommended by ICEPower, it is a fine power section.

I'd avoid Mark Bass amps. they are no less reliable than their rivals but if they do go wrong outside of the guarantee period expect no support. They have contracted out repairs to a single company and there is no possibility of third party repairs. The only real repair on offer is a complete board replacement at a significant proportion of the cost of a new amp. Ashdown on the other hand offer the best after sales in the business.

• Like 3

On 06/06/2024 at 11:00, Lozz196 said:

I’ll never tire of recommending the Ashdown RM amps. Lightweight, powerful, sound great and excellent customer service.

I have been looking at these for ages, and have finally caved in, RM800 EVO II incoming. I have watched a number of reviews/videos and nothing has deterred me.

I bought direct from Ashdown via their discount page. £475 for the 800 is pretty good I think.

Rob

• Like 2