Why become a member? ×

Sex Pistols to reunite...with one glaring omission

To be fair, they are billing it as Frank Carter and Sex Pistols and it is a benefit.

Any chance Johnny would be gracious and show up for a tune or two?

Lol.

• Like 2

John Lydon is so utterly unique and iconic he is ....the Sex Pistols. You can substitute any of the band members but without JL  its just not quite right... kind of  Steve Jones and his mates which ain't the SP's.

2 hours ago, diskwave said:

John Lydon is so utterly unique and iconic he is ....the Sex Pistols. You can substitute any of the band members

Not for me, you couldn't. They tried that with Sid and that didn't end well. As @Lozz196 has already mentioned, all four of them brought something to the table. And nobody can go chug-chug-chug on a guitar like Steve Jones!

45 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

This isn't a cash grab, it's a benefit concert. Not sure how anyone can take this as a negative.

Good point. You can't help but think that they might do more shows though, depending on how well these two go.

Posted (edited)

FC will be good. I assume they couldn't peel Lydon away from LA to do a couple of low key benefit shows? He lost his wife in 2023 so perhaps he just has different priorities now. 

Bush Hall is a great venue anyway. We played there in 2022 and it's an absolutely stunning room - would be a real loss if it went under. 

02BangBangRomeo-BushHall26Feb-JonMo.thumb.jpg.973446cfca76e03c752e98d40ab4df66.jpg

Edited by borntohang

12 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

This isn't a cash grab, it's a benefit concert. Not sure how anyone can take this as a negative.

If you think the cause is worth supporting then make a donation directly, but don't give any encouragement to this travesty masquerading as The Sex Pistols.

IMO The Sex Pistols (like a lot of bands) were very much of their time. If I had been on the ball back in 1976 I would have probably gone to one of their gigs and enjoyed them a lot, but it's no longer 1976, and this is just some old blokes trying to relive their "glory days". Are there going to be playing any new songs? Otherwise I might as well stay at home and enjoy listening to the recordings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

John Lydon is currently on a speaking tour in the UK which ends at the start of August.

There was some sort of legal dispute between him and the other Pistols over Danny Boyles biopic TV series, no idea whether it got particularly acrimonious but maybe that's a contributing factor as to why he doesn't fancy the reunion.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you think the cause is worth supporting then make a donation directly, but don't give any encouragement to this travesty masquerading as The Sex Pistols.

IMO The Sex Pistols (like a lot of bands) were very much of their time. If I had been on the ball back in 1976 I would have probably gone to one of their gigs and enjoyed them a lot, but it's no longer 1976, and this is just some old blokes trying to relive their "glory days". Are there going to be playing any new songs? Otherwise I might as well stay at home and enjoy listening to the recordings.

Well you're a bundle of fun aren't you. Make sure you let the sell out audience at both shows know how wrong they are to encourage this travesty.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cato said:

John Lydon is currently on a speaking tour in the UK which ends at the start of August.

There was some sort of legal dispute between him and the other Pistols over Danny Boyles biopic TV series, no idea whether it got particularly acrimonious but maybe that's a contributing factor as to why he doesn't fancy the reunion.

I think it goes further back than the biopic. The divisions were already there on the American tour, division arguably orchestrated by McLaren, in particular the badly considered Ronnie Biggs shenannigans, which Lydon disparages in his autobiography.

58 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Well you're a bundle of fun aren't you. Make sure you let the sell out audience at both shows know how wrong they are to encourage this travesty.

If you want to go, then go. I don't think anyone is stopping you.

Me, I'd rather go and see some new bands.

3 hours ago, Cato said:

there's an interview where Lydon explains his feelings, he's never really got on with the others that's why he orchestrated getting Sid in, he does seem to take offense very easily, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me 😊

• Like 2

19 hours ago, upside downer said:

. As @Lozz196 has already mentioned, all four of them brought something to the table.

In particular Glen. If you've ever heard any of the 'Spunk' recordings, the bass lines are far more interesting than the chugga-chugga parts Steve played on NMTB.

• Like 3

If the virtual ABBA were Abbatars; would the virtual Pistols be the Pretty Vacants? :scratch_one-s_head:

(I'll get my coat.....)

About the only one of the big punk /new wave bands I didn't get to see back in the day 

Fleetwood Mac got by without Peter Green, Queen did well without Freddie and Slade did well without Noddy. ELO didn't miss Roy Wood. Nor Genesis, Peter Gabriel.

A few years ago, I saw the Straits, actually the Dire Straits band with a Knopfler replacement. They were very good and filled the Albert Hall.

No one is indispensable. If the band want to gig and can put on a good show then, good on 'em.

• Like 1

If its just a couple of low key charity gigs then fair enough I suppose, but to me it's not the sex pistols without Lydon and shouldn't be billed as such.  Ex pistols maybe?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I stumbled across the Shepherd's Bush gig on you tube ,  and he did a great job from what I could see . ( only saw a few seperate tracks initially , and haven't got round to seeing the full performance yet ) .

From the bits I've seen he does a decent job. It's not like he needs to be hitting notes like Mariah Carey manages. Besides, the crowd will be yelling along for most of it. "Tonight, Matthew, we're all gonna be Johnny Rotten!"

• Haha 2

Just back from the Manchester gig. It was ace.

Of course I'd have preferred to see them with Lydon but that would've been an arena gig and I'm not up for that.

One of the great bands - and Matlock's bass playing is magnificent. If it's a choice between a semi-cabaret version and nothing, I'll take the cabaret, old chum.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Dankology said:

Just back from the Manchester gig. It was ace.

Of course I'd have preferred to see them with Lydon but that would've been an arena gig and I'm not up for that.

One of the great bands - and Matlock's bass playing is magnificent. If it's a choice between a semi-cabaret version and nothing, I'll take the cabaret, old chum.

Saw them in Brum on Saturday, loved it. Frank looks like he's having a ball. Matlock and Cook as tight as ever, although Jones had a couple of senior moments 😄

Silly Thing! My Way! Wasn't expecting them!

• Like 2