Why become a member? ×

Line selectors in synth applications

Homatron

I've been playing with a few configurations of octave-> drive/fuzz -> envelope -> modulation to get some synth type sounds recently. Looking at some older BC threads I'm starting to wonder if building a line selector like a Boss LS2 or Joyo Orthros into the mix would help get a wider range of sounds.

For example, I'm finding that it's tricky getting the envelope to behave with so much going on before it, and that a phaser at the end is barely perceptible as it seems to favour higher frequencies.

Has anyone used a line switcher in this type of setup? Could it also be used to simultaneously solve the OC2 volume drop?

From what I've gathered from reading around, one option might be to put octave in one loop and fuzz/envelope in another loop and blend them together.

I may be way off in my thinking on this but would be great to hear from ye sonic wizards!

I do thisbwith the ehx switchblade pro. 

I do one loop all analogue and one loop all digital and blend both with clean and then can select a/b or both

That great eastern fx xo crossover looks like a cool solution and would probably do exactly what you want buy it is pricey.

Cool, that's pretty encouraging! Also, I hadn't come across the Switchblade Pro so thanks for pointing that out. 

The Great Eastern fx looks like a great unit, but quite spendy. Still, good to know what's out there and how people are solving this sort of challenge.

Envelope loves full frequency response. Mine didn't work so well in the X-over loop. Now I keep it as the first unit in chain. Maybe you could try it after a comp where you can control the amount of signal the envelope receives?

Octaver on the other hand does not like a signal that is changing a lot.

And fuzz, some of them behave in a different way from bass to bass, and whether they are the first in line (crunching bass' signal) or after some other fx (eating lo-Z signal).

Your question is the same that I have tried to tame for some time. My solution has been that envelope is the first, fuzz the second in a X-over loop (flanger, too), and then the rest. Octaver (or SY-1) has been travelling here and there. I can only suggest brave trials to find what works best for your setup and preferred sound.