Why become a member? ×

Monster bargain!

ardi100

Large cabs are getting like pianos which you petty much can't give them away. Audio technology has moved on a hell of a lot and most gigging bassists without roadies just don't need the hassle of large cabs. Good time to buy one

• Like 1

Yes, too much cab and way too heavy for me, but if you were buying it for a rehearsal room or studio, bloody hell it would be great value!

I'm in the market for something cheap, which was why I saw it, and that basically means heavy. But that was in another league!

2 hours ago, ardi100 said:

Yes, too much cab and way too heavy for me, but if you were buying it for a rehearsal room or studio, bloody hell it would be great value!

I'm in the market for something cheap, which was why I saw it, and that basically means heavy. But that was in another league!

Not sure an 8x10 is a good idea in either a rehearsal room or studio :) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Probably OK as long as you're not in the room with it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, if you had to go cheap, and reasonably heavy wasn't a problem, what old school cab would you look for? I'm seeing Ashdown ABM 115s, some 210s and the odd TC Electronic 115, 212 and 210. Some Fender Rumble cabs and a fair few Peaveys, but they seem to be mostly Headliners (their cheapest) or 80s and 90s cabs.

Edited by ardi100
Spelling

50 minutes ago, Beedster said:

They have them in the rehearsal studio we use. Which is fortunate given that our caffeine fuelled chimp is the loudest drummer I’ve ever played with. I have to have the 1000 watt hired amp connected to the 810 on about 7 or 8 just to keep up. 

27 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

They have them in the rehearsal studio we use. Which is fortunate given that our caffeine fuelled chimp is the loudest drummer I’ve ever played with. I have to have the 1000 watt hired amp connected to the 810 on about 7 or 8 just to keep up. 

Are you also using ear protection?

13 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Are you also using ear protection?

Thankfully yes, ACS PRO17s, bring the levels down nicely otherwise I’d be stone deaf.

57 minutes ago, ardi100 said:

So, if you had to go cheap, and reasonably heavy wasn't a problem, what old school cab would you look for? I'm seeing Ashdown ABM 115s, some 210s and the odd TC Electronic 115, 212 and 210. Some Fender Rumble cabs and a fair few Peaveys, but they seem to be mostly Headliners (their cheapest) or 80s and 90s cabs.

Tech Soundsystem ND410S. But that would depend on your definition of "cheap", it would be more than £50. Tech speakers turn up on BC now and again.

There's an Ashdown 4x10 on Ebay at the moment, £75 start, £140 BIN, with a 300W Behringer head. IIRC they're lighter than the depleted-uranium lined Trace Elliot cabs.

3 hours ago, Beedster said:

TBF most of the rehearsal room cabs I use these days have at least half the drivers blown so it should be ok 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ardi100 said:

There's an old Eden 2x10 I was watching on eBay for £150, seller sent an offer for £139. Even with postage it's a good deal.

Edited by lemmywinks

45 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

There's an old Eden 2x10 I was watching on eBay for £150, seller sent an offer for £139. Even with postage it's a good deal.

I've got that offer, currently having a good look at it!

Part of the difficulty is not being able to try it. Postage is great, but that means buying sight unseen.

I saw this on Ebay and said to myself, 'This guys just bought himself a Barefaced'.

The trouble bass players had just to be heard, back in the day.

Now we can pick up our monstrously loud bass cabs with our pinkies.

No more hernias for us :)

1 hour ago, ardi100 said:

I've got that offer, currently having a good look at it!

Part of the difficulty is not being able to try it. Postage is great, but that means buying sight unseen.

I think (not 100% and can't see from the photos) that it's the version of the D210 that has the tilt back function which is a fair few kg lighter than the older model. Looks like "D210MBX" to my old eyes.

Proper cab for budget money (as long as it's fully working obvs!) and not crazy heavy either.

6 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I think (not 100% and can't see from the photos) that it's the version of the D210 that has the tilt back function which is a fair few kg lighter than the older model. Looks like "D210MBX" to my old eyes.

Proper cab for budget money (as long as it's fully working obvs!) and not crazy heavy either.

I think you're right.

Now I'm thinking it's too good to be true!

There's a music rental place in North London clearing out good, old school heavy cabs on eBay very cheap. Fender 6x10, Genz Benz 4x10s... I've been so tempted but just cannot justify it.

9 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Well, I've gone and bought it now, so I'll report after I've had a good play through it!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ardi100 said:

Got a nice Trace 4x10 for sale here…monster cab dirt cheap

On 08/06/2024 at 15:54, Beedster said:

Large cabs are getting like pianos which you petty much can't give them away. Audio technology has moved on a hell of a lot and most gigging bassists without roadies just don't need the hassle of large cabs. Good time to buy one

And for gigging bassists with roadies they are most likely just stage props.

• Like 1