Why become a member? ×

Dead ProDI

Had a Radial ProDI for a while, mostly sat on a shelf since I got my Capo.

Long story short, the pass through is fine but the XLR is completely dead. Not sure if it’s taken a bump or something but can’t see any obvious signs of damage, all looks fine inside.

Any thoughts? Is it worth trying to get it fixed or should I just grab another?

I’ve seen a few of these fail due to cracked solder joints on the transformer. That is an easy fix if you know what to look for. If the transformer itself has failed then the unit is scrap, we could never get spares in the uk.

Main problem is that it’s probably not worth the cost of paying someone to investigate unless you can get a free/cheap assessment from someone local.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

This post indicates that the Jensen JT-DB-EPC are a drop in replacement https://gearspace.com/board/geekzone/993802-upgrading-radial-prod2.html and the DiPro uses the same Eclipse ET-DB2 transformer.

If you've access to a multimeter, it may be worth checking continuity of the appropriate pins (as per the Jensen schematic)) to see if there are any internal disconnects.  https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/jt-db-epc.pdf

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 2

They tend to be ring fractures rather than dry joints (looks just like the name would suggest - a ring around the pin is visible in the solder joint). The transformers are quite heavy and if the Di gets dropped a joint can fracture.

• Like 4

I had an issue with a bad XLR a while ago and Radial responded pretty quickly after I filled in the contact form on their website. They were pretty helpful. Their UK distributor is polar.uk.com (but they never responded to emails).