Why become a member? ×

Studio monitor inputs

I have a set of studio monitors which I use for practicing and recording but I wouldn’t mind using them to play music but need more inputs. Would a couple of cable splitters work? I could get an input selector but needs to be small!

Splitters might work, but you would find adjusting levels would be a pain if the inputs interact with each other. Also, the mix might only appear on one channel.

A basic 2nd hand mixer would not cost much more and would be more versatile.

What and how many inputs are you wanting to mix?

David

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

Splitters might work, but you would find adjusting levels would be a pain if the inputs interact with each other. Also, the mix might only appear on one channel.

A basic 2nd hand mixer would not cost much more and would be more versatile.

What and how many inputs are you wanting to mix?

David

I have an interface going into my monitors but previously I had a little Hotone amp and an alexa device and used a Nobosound Little bear Selector to select each signal. Now my interface is going into the monitors which is cool but occasionally I might want to listen to music so I thought I could use splitter and take the outs from the Nobosound and the outs from the interface. Alternatively I could buy a little mixer I'm not going to mix tho! 

I've been using a small 8-channel USB mixer by Yamaha for this purpose. I use it for playing music from my PC, for practice (plugging my bass straight into it and playing along with said music from my PC) and in the past I used it for some recording too. It's an older model that sends a stereo mix through USB to the DAW rather than individual channels, but there are more recent models that do support multichannel recording. Then again, when recording a single instrument at a time it's fine - but I'm sure the interface you're using is a lot more modern and versatile. I have two KRK V4 series II powered monitors hooked up to the monitor outputs. 

Doesn't your interface have playback options from your DAW? Or are you looking to use a different audio source?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

Doesn't your interface have playback options from your DAW? Or are you looking to use a different audio source?

The interface is not linked to my computer all the time and it would be a different audio source I did think about just using the other input in my interface for the hotone and the alexa device

16 hours ago, Mottlefeeder said:

If you are aiming for 'either A or B' then a pair of splitters,  (left and right) used as blenders, should work for you.

David

It is either A or B not mixed together. 

Edited by steviedee

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Just run the audio source into the audio interface. I'm not sure what the problem is?

I’m probably over complicating things but the Alexa device and the Hotone are both using the 3.5mm outs into the audio selector and then 3.5 to 1/4 inch jacks into the monitors, I bought a new preamp and thought I’ll set my interface up and the interface now is connected to the monitors. I could have got a 3.5mm to TRS adapter or cable and plugged the Hotone and Alexa directly in to the interface but didn’t think of that! The splitters work fine tho and I don’t need to turn my interface on to use the Hotone or the Alexa device so all good!

Edited by steviedee
  • Like 1