Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Embassy bass in Wanderlust Green Metallic - *WITHDRAWN*
£275
Birmingham

Posted (edited)

Very sad to be selling this bass as it looks great, sounds great and is a ton of fun to play, but the old-skool covers band that I bought it for has fizzled out, and it's not getting much use any more.

As you'll probably be aware, these basses have garnered a lot of praise for their looks, weight, sound and playability, and I am happy to confirm that the hype is fully justified in all respects. 

First of all, and I probably don't need to say this, but it really does look killer - the metallic green finish is obviously drop-dead gorgeous, the huge chrome pickups and hardware are all suitably vintage-looking, and even the Indian laurel fingerboard looks lovely - dark and chocolately, and nothing like the nasty dry cow poo colour that you so often get with Indian laurel boards. 

As for weight, I can confirm that this bass somehow manages the magic trick of being both extremely lightweight and yet at the same time perfectly well balanced. I have zero tolerance for even the slightest hint of neck dive in any bass, and am happy to report that this instrument balances perfectly on the strap even though it weighs in at an insanely light 3.278kg. Yes, less than 3.3 kilos.

You might think that such a lightweight bass probably has a lightweight sound as well, but no, think again. Those big chrome pickup covers are not just there for show - this bass sounds HUGE. The neck pickup is a real floor-shaker, and the bridge pickup has a 60s Jazz on steroids thing going on. Obvs you are not going to get MTD-like high frequencies from this bass, but it covers far more ground than you might think, and sounds fabulously thumpy with the GHS Precision Flats it is currently wearing. It zings plenty more with rounds, too.

The only thing that I disliked about this was the tuners. The previous owner warned me they were crap, and indeed they were, so I replaced them with a set of Gotoh Res-O-Lites (the GB350 set), which cost £80 but are a joy to use and have contributed to this particular bass being even more crazy lightweight than it was when I bought it. I'll throw in the original tuners just in case you want them, but trust me, you won't.

Presented in immaculate condition apart from two very minor scratches on the back of the body and a really tiny headstock ding - see pics.

Full specs on the Epiphone website here:
https://www.epiphone.com/en-GB/p/Electric-Bass/EPIM96326/Wanderlust-Metallic-Green

Collection in person from Birmingham B30 welcome, or I am happy to drive and meet halfway within a one-hour-ish radius. I can also post (England, Scotland and Wales only, alas, thanks to Brexit!) for an extra £25 insured.

My feedback thread:

Thanks for looking!

IMG_4113.thumb.jpg.10abc6f6d6e7b39be2f10e4df6c8afde.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

Edited by GrammeFriday
Not so much as a sniff
  • Like 10

I bought the gold one from this very marketplace. They look and sound fantastic.

Imagine the massive sound of a Thunderbird in a lovely lightweight form. If this was closer to home I'd be very tempted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • GrammeFriday changed the title to WITHDRAWN - Epiphone Embassy bass in Wanderlust Green Metallic