Why become a member? ×

ACG Skelf 5/32. Now £1250 - *SOLD*
£1350
Timperley

Price dropped to £1250 before it goes down to Bass Direct for a commission sale, unless Mark feels like offering me a good price on it.

Single Cut Skelf 32 inch scale 5 string. I have had a number of Alan's masterpieces over the years and this is the nicest one to play. If it wasn't for a change in circumstances, It would not be for sale.

Originally specced out by @Merton of this parish, it is a gorgeous example of Alan’s exotic wood options - the “Fractal Mac” ebony top is crazy cool, different and interesting. It's light at 3.7Kg or 8lb 3oz in old money and is absolutely "as new".

When I got it Alan had installed a 4-way pickup select switch (bridge, both parallel, both series, neck) but I felt it was a bit limiting so got Alan to send me a blend module and I find that much easier to get the tone you want. The P-Retro is an amazing piece of kit as well.

I can easily swap it back to the selector switch if that is your thing.

If it wasn't for the fact we're leaving the country, this bass would be going nowhere. 

This is probably going down to Mark @ Bass Direct in a week or so as I really don't want to take it with me when we emigrate. 

So, the specs:

5 string (low B)

32” scale

White Limba body, fractal mac top

3-piece ash neck with carbon rods, asymmetric neck carve

Rosewood board, zero radius

Reverse 1+4 headstock with matching fractal mac veneer

2x ACG Overwound reverse PB ceramic pickups (essentially a P split pickup in a soap bar case, and reversed so treble side is nearer the neck)

East/ACG P-Retro with active/passive switch, pickup blend.

Hipshot B-type bridge, 17mm string spacing

Gotoh tuners

Currently strung with Newtone nickel strings

Comes with a Fusion Gigbag

Skelf1.jpeg.fdd2f124e01b0ed2d9ee4c881da38b0c.jpegSkelf2.thumb.jpeg.a8b9450aaeace5ea7d7cf106d940b0ff.jpegSkelf3.thumb.jpeg.9b4824d1232335c9295218a63ac1b3d2.jpegSkelf4.thumb.jpeg.e1cc8de1d45c839cd07b0ce138d3a525.jpeg

Edited by BassBunny
  • Like 9

A cracking example of Alan’s work and a gentleman of a seller. What’s not to like?

Bit of backstory to this (if anyone cares 😂) - I was depping a lot in an 80s rock cover band and decided I needed a 5 string to look the part. Being a tart and only playing medium scales, I decided a commission from Mr Cringean was the way forward. Originally it would have been a solid limba body with grunge black finish but then Alan shared a pic of this nuts top. Spec creep occurred, and the Skelf as you see before you was born.

Soundwise, this is a rock machine (as it was designed to be!) but can be beautifully mellow and resonant if you want. It’s the closest bass to a Spector tone I’ve ever had, and has inspired my 4-string TKO and the new Holly Finn spec I’m hoping to kick off fairly soon. In many respects I think finally this is the closest to the sound in my head that any of my basses have ever been.

Here’s a video of the Skelf into an Ashdown OriginAl preamp, quite a gorgeous tone (IMVHO):

• Like 4

Another video. Just going back in time to find all the videos I made and going “my god that bass sounds so good” 😅

Edited by Merton
  • Like 6

• BassBunny changed the title to ACG Skelf 5/32. Now £1250

Still here?! 🤯

It's a source of utter bemusement for me how Alan's instruments have such ridiculously low resale values.

I look on Bass direct, and I see used Elricks, Mayones, US MTDs in the £2-3k range. All fine boutique instruments, but at a level of craftsmanship that's no higher than an ACG.

Not that I can really complain, because - * looks lovingly at 4 ACG instruments to his left * - I've benefitted from this silliness over the years.

This year I've bought a new Dingwall for £2500, and a used mint ACG Krell for less than half that. The Dingwall is nicely put together, of course, but is it twice the instrument that the Krell is? Hell, no. With the best will in the world, it's not even AS good. Because OBVIOUSLY.

Also: the P-Retro pre is simply one of the most cleverly designed, useful, sonically satisfying pres I've ever used. ACG + P-Retro = perfection.

Not only that, but this Skelf/reverse headstock combo means that this is one of those rare ACGs that is simply crying out to be slung low, with you shooting from the hip like the rock-and-f***in'-roll bass god that you know you can be.

In summary: Snap up this bargain now, people! It'll be one of the best basses you'll ever own.

[apols to Bassbunny for the waffle. GLWTS, mate! 🙂]

Edited by simisker
  • Like 2

@simisker, no apologies necessary. Waffle away. 😀 

Thank you for the additional comments, I couldn't have put it better myself. Well I didn't, did I.

It is indeed bizarre that an instrument that cost around £3k, devalues so quickly.

• BassBunny changed the title to ACG Skelf 5/32. Now £1250***Sold