Why become a member? ×

9 pedal challenge

LukeFRC

So you have a limit - and can only pick one thing in each category... 

One tuner,
one drive,

one fuzz/distortion,

one envelope filter,

one octave,

one modulation,

one preamp (doesn't have to have DI out)

one pedal that does reverb or delay (or both) 

and one wildcard... 

So 9 pedals maximum, what do you choose? (and why?)

Edited by LukeFRC
  • Like 2

1. Tuner: TC Electronics Polytune 3

2. Compressor: Ampeg Opto Compressor

3. Octave: Boss OC-5

4. Chorus: EBS UniChorus

5. Envelop Filter: EBS Triple Filter

6. Ambient Effect Pedal: Zoom MS-60B (Hacked)

7. Reverb: Walrus Audio Slo

8. Volume Booster: TC Electronic Spark Booster

9. EQ/DI: Sansamp BDDI v2

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

One tuner.: love my Turbo tuner st300 accurate and pleasant to use.
One drive: I like JFet drives, I really like the barbershop clone I built - but the Iron man (SS/BS mini clone) I built blows it out the water. 

one fuzz/distortion: Not really got much love for bass fuzz, Creation Audio Grizzly bass really impressed me but I wouldn't end up using it as a fuzz. 

one envelope filter: C4

one octave: Fave so far is Valeton OC10, OC2 clone, but I prefer sound to an actual OC2!

one modulation, Providence Anadime Bass chorus - for me, this pedal is perfect. Deep, but simple. 

one preamp (doesn't have to have DI out) Colourbox v2 - if I bought a Warwick hellborg preamp when Thomman blew them out I would have had a pedalboard made with a 1u rack in it   - but I didn't so this is as close as I can get.

one pedal that does reverb or delay (or both) not enough exp. other than zoom, Line6 stuff. The H9 is nice but still learning how to use it musically.

and one wildcard...  every time I jiggle the board around I take this off, and then put it on again. The clone I made of the Fairfield shallow water. The thing is subtle to the point of being useless, and can go places that don't sound right - but it's so so musical sounding (JFets again) I use it far more than makes sense

• Like 2

One tuner: Strobostomp HD - it's very accurate (even when I had a low F# on a Dingwall) and it is great for setting intonation.

One drive: Pike Vulcan - I don't typically get along well with overdrive circuits but that sounded full and airy, especially at 18v. I like it so much I asked Moose Electronics to put one in a custom unit.

One fuzz/distortion: COG Grand Tarkin - a lovely Muff-style fuzz with filtered clean blend so the fuzz and clean signals sound like one thick whole.

One envelope filter: Probably the hardest one to choose. If I had to keep one it would be a 3 Leaf Chromatron I had refinished (just because I think it looks cool) but I find the Triungulo Barbanera more easily hits the funky sweet spot I like (which isn't a suprise as it's based on the MF-101).

One octave: Octabvre - it's the octave I've owned longest, it's flexible and the dub channel is superb. Special mention to my Poirot-themed pedal Celebrity Pedals put together though.

One modulation: Boss BF-3 Flanger - just sounds great and has a crazy range of sounds. Sounds brilliant when fed a distorted signal. One of these is incorporated in the custom unit Moose kindly put together for me (drive > flanger > delay).

One preamp: Noble DI - I notice when I'm not using it. I can hear every nuance of my playing. My playing is bad so it's not always fun to hear, but at least I can hear the nuances!

One delay or reverb: JAM Delay Llama Xtreme - The first birthday present I received from my now wife. It also sounds brilliant (it's worth checking out Janek's demo video).

One wildcard: DLA-2A - a bit like the Noble, it's a serious bit of kit but everything sounds good going through it.

I wouldn't necessarily want to use the above as my pedalboard but they are my favourites in those categories. I've got a few other sentimental favourites and some one-offs that I love too but that didn't really suit the list.

I'm curious to see what others put down too!

@MrDinsdale excellent choices on the SLO and Slow Loris!

• Like 2

Helix.

Seriously though I don't think I have used 9 blocks in a signal path on the Helix yet. 

My current default patch is a compressor, distortion/EQ, chorus, and delay (plus volume pedal and tuner) and that does nearly everything I need.

• Like 5

Drive: Joyo Orange Juice

Distortion: Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, with Turbo RAT mode, and retains low end better than most other RATs, and also for some reason just blends really nicely with parallel clean signal, without it sounding like they are sitting on top of the distorted signal)

Envelope Filter: Mooer Bass Sweeper (take on the EHX Bass Balls with more control parameters, though I would rather swap this for an extra modulation effect, in which case that would be my Monarch SFL-22 Stereo Flanger, which basically is a rebranded Arion Stereo Flanger, or perhaps a tremolo effect, which would be my HoTone Trem)

Octave: TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (for 1 octave up 8 string bass emulation, using a self-made custom Toneprint)

Modulation: EHX Small Stone (the original big box version)

Preamp: probably Two Notes Opus or IK Multimedia Tonex One

Delay/Reverb/Tuner: Zoom B1Xon (hacked with extra reverb and delay effects, this might be cheating, but I basically use this right now almost exclusively for my reverb and delay effects)

Wildcard: would almost have to be an effects loop blender, in which case I would probably chose the EHX Tri Parallel Mixer, though I'd hate to be without my EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, though I use it with minimal compression dialed in, more so as a tube preamp stage)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I have always been just bass straight into amp.  I have never liked overdrive/distortion/fuzz on bass.  However in the last couple of years I have started experimenting a bit more and I like some of these things in a band setting which I don't like at home. So my selection is really boring and I don't have experience of vast number of different pedals.

Tuner - I have a battered Boss TU2 but since I always just tune up in the beginning of a gig and it always stays in tune I would leave it off since I need the space.
Drive - I have only one drive pedal, Jam Lucydreamer. Set low gain gives a bit of a cut through in heavier songs. I have the DG Microtubes B7K Ultra but its too big and it never gets used so I should just sell it.
Fuzz/distortion - Never really used them but I have Jam Rattler and its similar as the one above. Gives a nice cut through in the mix. I have 3 Leaf Doom2 incoming and I have a feeling that will replace the rattler and possibly the drive.
Envelope filter - Not massive experience but I liked the sound of my 3 Leaf GR2 more than my Wonderlove but I think the Wonderlove works better in a band setting and with my octavers so I would stick with that.
Octave - Had an OC2 in the 90s sold it and got an OC5 which I preferred. Just got a COG T47 which I think I prefer since you have the two setup options and that filter adds something nice in a band setting.
Modulation - Not a big modulation fan or user. I do have Jam Ripply Fall but its off the board. The only modulation pedal that has caught my eye is the IE Polytobe but I doubt I would use it.
Preamp - I suppose I have one (see the drive section) but it never gets used so I don't think I would need/use one.
Reverb or delay (or both) - I don't think I would use reverb or delay but the only pedal that I think I would use is the IE Nimbus SE.
Wildcard - Since I am not a big pedal user I think I would say my IE FMeron. I like the synth sounds and I am trying to work it into live setting not sure if I can. The only other pedal I can think of is IE Xerograph Deluxe. Sounds like a very useful pedal in few scenarios.

• Like 1

One tuner,  NOPE
one drive, - Bluetube Tube Driver 903

one fuzz/distortion, - Coloursound Bass Fuzz clone (with extra mid control)

one envelope filter, - Lovetone Meatball

one octave, - OC2 (well, single octave clone with a tone control on the octave)

one modulation, - EHX Small Clone

one preamp (doesn't have to have DI out) NOPE

one pedal that does reverb or delay (or both) - EQD Disaster Transport

and one wildcard... - Small Stone Phaser

That's what I'm running at the moment (with a couple of extras).

Edited by paul_5
  • Like 1

Tuner - Turbo Tuner ST-300

Drive - Hudson Broadcast

Fuzz - Kernom Moho

Envelope - Spaceman Artemis

Octave - Pico POG

Modulation - DOD 201 Phaser

Preamp - Tonex

Delay / Reverb - Line6 HX One

Wildcard - Red Panda Tensor

• Like 1

One tuner: TC Electronic Polytune 3 
One drive: Ampeg Scrambler

One fuzz/distortion: Aguilar Fuzzistor

One envelope filter: I've never had one proper envelope filter. I have always used a Line 6 M5. I f I had to get one, I'd go MXR or Source Audio.

One octave: MXR Octave Deluxe

One modulation: Mooer Ensemble Queen

One preamp (doesn't have to have DI out): Aguilar Tone Hammer

One pedal that does reverb or delay (or both): I have a Dr Green Waiting Room but I don't use it much. 

and one wildcard...: this one is tricky. My first thought would be a DCX Bass and I'd pick that probably. However, when I didn't have the Helix, I paired the Tone Hammer with a MXR Microamp. With the AGS always one on the limit of breakup, I had the Microamp to give it a little boost before the Tone Hammer to drive it when I needed an overdrive. 

• Like 2

One tuner: Korg Pitchblack customer - Accurate and looks great when in use
one drive: EHX Hot Wax - Covers so much ground and sounds awesome

one fuzz/distortion: Way Huge Pork & Pickle - Again, Fantastic pedal with the perfect drive sound and an awesome fuzz.

one envelope filter: Mr Black Fownkbeta - sooooo squelchy!

one octave: 3 Leaf Octabvre 3 - The Octabvre mini is my go to, and the new one is even better

one modulation: Aguilar Grape Phaser - funky as you like.

one preamp: Tech21 Sansamp VTDI - Owned one years ago and didn't approve, think it was more a case of didn't understand it.  Seems a versatile unit cover all sorts of ground.

one pedal that does reverb or delay (or both): Again, not within my remit so I'd let the HX One cover this

and one wildcard: Source Audio C4 - Fantastic pedal, my current band plays tunes that we couldn't do without it and I wouldn't be without one.

• Like 1

One tuner: Zoom MS-60B - works well for me
One drive: Zoom MS-60B - works well for me

One fuzz/distortion: Don't use them

One envelope filter: Don't use them

One octave: MXR Bass Octave Deluxe - impressive capability

One modulation: MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe - also impressive

One preamp (doesn't have to have DI out): Zoom MS-60B - just for EQ

One pedal that does reverb or delay (or both): Zoom MS-70CDR for reverb

and one wildcard... EHX C9 Organ Machine - who can resist an impressive swelling organ?

No compressor though? TC Spectracomp if we should allow that too. 

• Like 2

One tuner: TC Polytune 3 Mini - I like the compact size and how darn good it is!
One drive: Joyo Ultimate Drive - I had one, it was great. Should have replaced like for like when it broke but I was feeling fanciful

One fuzz/distortion: Stone Deaf Fig Fumb - I reckon this would work well for me, but I've not tried one

One envelope filter: No thanks

One octave: EHX POG 2

One modulation:  Let's say a Boss MD-200, not sure I need it though.

One preamp (doesn't have to have DI out): SushiBox Finally V2 - from what I can see, this would be perfect as an aways on bit of tube niceness

One pedal that does reverb or delay (or both): Source Audio Collider - the YouTube reviews sound amazing

And one wildcard...: HX-One - the get out of jail card

• Like 1

On 13/06/2024 at 07:22, BigRedX said:

Helix.

Seriously though I don't think I have used 9 blocks in a signal path on the Helix yet. 

My current default patch is a compressor, distortion/EQ, chorus, and delay (plus volume pedal and tuner) and that does nearly everything I need.

Having said that I was just making adjustments to one of my more complex Presets with that has 4 Snapshots in it, and in order to replicate it with individual pedals I would need the following:

One volume pedal

Two 10-band graphic EQ pedals for the two different EQ settings I use.

Two chorus pedals as I have two significantly different chorus settings within the Snapshots

One Flanger pedal

Three distortion/drive pedals for the different amounts of distortion and character of the distortion

Two delay pedals for different delay times and feedback settings used in the Snapshots

I have simplified this down as there are essentially different chorus, drive and delay settings for each of the 4 Snapshots, but I could get away with the above if I had to for live use. However it is still more than 9 pedals of the challenge and I would probably need 4 feet to be able to switch everything on and off at the required times and 2 of the Snapshots alternate every two bars of the song during the verse and chorus, which would make it very challenging to do with individual pedals.

Tuner - Boss TU-3 Waza

OD - Free the Tone Bass Blaster

Fuzz - Wounded Paw Battering Ram v2.6 or Attack Goat

Filter - SGFX Bi Filter

Octave - Boss OC-2

Pre Amp - Sadowsky BP-1

Modulation - Free the Tone Tri Avatar 

Reverb - not for me 

Wildcard - Diamond/SGFX BCP EQ 

• Like 1