Why become a member? ×

Unrealistic heavy ageing - did not expect this from Nash

Clarky

I missed this bit of blurb on the ad:

"This one is extra heavy aged for an authentic 50’s look similar to Stings own 50’s Precision Bass."

Looks nothing like it!

Screenshot_20240614_102220_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It would have been perfect, if only they has drilled "cheese" holes into it, for the genuine "rodents at work on the attic" effect.

I predict the next trend will be cutting off random parts of the headstock and body, and deep "going nuts with pointy end of the hammer" gouges.

Maybe even protruding, broken off or entirely missing bridge, neck pocket, tuner and pickup screws, broken tuners, demagnetized pickups, faulty wiring, and clumsily ripped out, broken and missing frets, from stock.

Like this?

1013298-688186631212547-1478504463-n.jpg
FOTO-2839-29.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Like this?

1013298-688186631212547-1478504463-n.jpg
FOTO-2839-29.jpg

Yes, that would be the Premium Deluxe Artifact Reliced and Anciently Aged topVenerable P Legend model, that one would be able to purchase for the ridiculously give away price of just 25000£. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 minute ago, LeftyJ said:

I believe @wombatboter owned it for a while, among two other Bas Extravaganza basses.

I remember it being advertised for sale on here. 

I was considering buying it just so I would have something to piss off anyone who wanted me to use a P-Bass!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The whole relic thing is so ridiculous to me.

Sting's bass has obviously been PLAYED (to the moon and back) and is 70 odd years old. 

However, it's still probably the most 'genuine' advanced ageing I've seen.

I recently sold a bass that I've had for yonks (20ish years); probably played in excess of 2000 gigs with it, plus countless rehearsals and recording sessions; other than a couple of obvious dings and some fretboard wear, it was still looking and sounding very nice! I can't say it had ever been treated gently either but just looked after sensibly. Even all the clear coat was still intact.

Is the attraction of these 'relics' that they're supposed to indicate that they've just been mistreated and abused? and yet somehow commanding a higher price 🙄

• Like 1

I’ve only ever owned 3 road worn instruments, all JMJ basses. I didn’t pick them for the road worn aspect and although it comes in handy, as in if you do ding it it doesn’t really matter, if they did non road worn versions I’d probably have gone for those. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clarky said:

I missed this bit of blurb on the ad:

"This one is extra heavy aged for an authentic 50’s look similar to Stings own 50’s Precision Bass."

Looks nothing like it!

Screenshot_20240614_102220_Chrome.jpg

SIMILAR. Its... similar 🤔 I dunno man, sometimes the sander just gets away from you

• Haha 1

Also looking at the fingerboard wear it's obviously been done by someone who has never actually played bass in a band. As everyone knows all the really fat notes are up around the 12th fret on the E and A strings.

I'm in the States and have seen quite a few Nashes. Almost all of them were over-board and just trying too hard to be a "relic". They play well, but this

relic idea from Bluesman, Xotic, etc. seem to strike the balance much more to my taste. Admittedly, I'm an old guy and generally take care of my stuff, so maybe I miss the idea of charging extra for beating up a bass, but most Nashes I've seen (live or in pics) seem to be like the kid in the neighborhood who is just trying a bit too hard for cred.

btw, I met a lot of guys like that when I was riding motorcycles, mostly on Harley Davidson bikes. Not all, but a bunch. Again, nice products, but trying a bit too hard to buy a "life-style" product. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rodders said:

Reliced with a belt or rotary sander? 

"When you said use a belt, I thought you meant a belt sander. How was I to know you meant rub it on a belt buckle?"

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BigRedX said:

It's the Bas Extravaganza Punk Rock Bass, and is/was owned by someone here on Basschat.

Like LeftyJ said I bought it ànd I did gigs with it and even played solo's on it just because it was so challenging..

I remember that the chain was hard on the shoulders but it sounded like it should :-)