Why become a member? ×

NBD - Cort GB5

tauzero

A few years ago, I joined a Marillion tribute band. Pete Trewavas plays a Warwick Thumb (which I had) but also there's a fair few pictures of him with a Cort GB4 (or it could be a GB94, the only visible difference is the colour of the logo IIRC). So I bought one, and found it a great bass. However, I was deposed from the band and because I only play 5-strings, I sold the GB4. However, I did fancy the 5-string version and a few days ago got the urge to have a look and see if anyone was selling one. Indeed there was one for sale from @jimmybass04 which he'd advertised a while ago but there was no sign of it being sold. It was indeed still available, and to save me a 300 mile trip to Glasgow, he had a friend bring it down to Leeds, a far more reasonable 120 miles away. So I went up there yesterday to pick it up. Lovely condition, fitted with Schaller S-Lock straplocks, although I think I'll be taking the flatwounds off in favour of lighter gauge roundwounds. Took it to an open mic night last night and it was fine, not a lightweight but I mainly sit when playing so that's not really an issue.

Pickups are Jazz and humbucker which produce a very full and balanced sound. The tuners are Hipshot Ultralight (presumably the licensed ones) - nice attention to detail. The headstock, like a Fender, isn't angled back, and there's a string tree across all five strings to give a good break angle. Fretwork is good and the fretboard edges are nicely rounded.

GB5-1.thumb.jpg.3ed7b363641cde45f5fc44317e78f282.jpg

GB5-2.thumb.jpg.835a63f2bc25187c0f2755f2a60fdd61.jpg

GB5-3.thumb.jpg.8b024832ae44e0941017f0631a9f932c.jpg

Edited by tauzero
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ardi100 said:

That looks lovely!

How does it play?

Nicely. The neck's not quite as slim as I expected from the GB4, but still comfortable. The strings are 45-65-85-105-135 flats rather than my favoured 40-125 rounds but the action is set quite low (no worries about fret buzz).

There's lots of different Cort models - I'd advise trying before you buy, if you can, there's a variety of neck profiles and that makes a lot of difference when you're playing a five. Even more so if your hands are on the small side.