Why become a member? ×

Amp & Cab recommendations

Suezee

4 yrs ago I sold my amplification: a markbass LM2 coupled with the 104hf cab.

Ideally I would like to get something that is less weighty but will provide the same volume and cut through as my new band dont go through the PA; just use a backline. Playing in pubs, clubs, halls to between 50 - 250 people.  

As Im out of touch with theblatest fear I wondered if anyone can recommend such. TIA

Get a secondhand Markbass CMD 121P like I did. I've used GK heads and Barefaced cabs in the past but I found that nothing competes with the Markbass for size weight and how much noise it can put out. Pair it up with a second cab if you're playing Wembley Stadium without a PA.

Now they have the new version out the old ones are cheap used.

The Fender Rumbles are also loud and light.

Depends on budget and how important weight is. Lightest - GR Bass AT range, 500W combo under 10kg. A bit heavier - good class D amp (loads of opinions on these, a Tecamp Puma 900 does for me) and either a Barefaced BB2 or one of the LFSys range. I'm doing the same sort of gigs as you.

Or, if specifically looking at amp & cab(s) - and a shameless plug here - look at one of the Ashdown RM amps as per BassAdders post and the 2 Ashdown ABM Pro Neo 210 cabs I have up for sale 😀. 13kg each and a nice set up plenty good enough for the venue size stated.

11 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Or, if specifically looking at amp & cab(s) - and a shameless plug here - look at one of the Ashdown RM amps as per BassAdders post and the 2 Ashdown ABM Pro Neo 210 cabs I have up for sale 😀. 13kg each and a nice set up plenty good enough for the venue size stated.

You can’t do better than that for the money .. it would make a great gig and lightweight