Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal Room Business Rates

Does anyone have their own rehearsal space? We have taken on the lease of ours. I reckon we need to apply for Small Business Rates Relief. As the rateable value is less than £12000 we should be eligible for 100%. Anyone got experience? We are not really a business and the lease is in one of the guy’s names. Just want to make sure we don’t make any mistakes! The room is for us not a commercial concern!

Edited by steviedee

Legal minefield. My recommendation is to get professional advice.

You’re also a small business so start scouting the grant directories locally and nationally to see what cash you might be eligible for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

Legal minefield. My recommendation is to get professional advice.

You’re also a small business so start scouting the grant directories locally and nationally to see what cash you might be eligible for.

Spoke to a pal of mine who is a lawyer and he told me it's not really business rates it's actually non domestic rates, so if you have a lock up for hobby stuff or a horse (??) you are eligible for the Small Business Rates Relief we are going to have a quick chat with the council. Our landlord says we will get the rebate but we need to sort it with the relevant people.

2 hours ago, steviedee said:

Spoke to a pal of mine who is a lawyer and he told me it's not really business rates it's actually non domestic rates, so if you have a lock up for hobby stuff or a horse (??) you are eligible for the Small Business Rates Relief we are going to have a quick chat with the council. Our landlord says we will get the rebate but we need to sort it with the relevant people.

Excellent to get expert advice. Thank heaven for friends, eh?!!

Good luck with the new business venture. Even though you’re taking on an existing lease you might be eligible for a new business grant. My brothers wife received £10,000 to refurbish a hairdressing salon recently.

Obviously depends on where you are, but you should be able to find details.

• Like 1