Why become a member? ×

I don't think that the accordion is many people's fave instrument ...

Now I've got Stairway to Heaven played on an accordion in a Bulgarian wedding style running round my head. It'll be there for hours now

That's psychological torture.

• Haha 1

I never thought I'd ever say "Bravo, more, more..." to a bagpipe and accordian duo. I didn't have that on my bingo card for this week...

Wonderful playing, skilful and the accordian player was in a world of his own.

I am humbled by what you can do here.

Rob

Posted (edited)
On 14/06/2024 at 20:14, meterman said:

By the way, if anyone in the South West corner of France has a Cumbia band, or is starting one, and needs a bassist or percussionist, get in touch cause I’m yer man. 

Have guiro, will travel 👍

South west corner of France covers a pretty big area. Where abouts are you?

Edited by leschirons
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, leschirons said:

South west corner of France covers a pretty big area. Where abouts are you?

Just off the Av. de Catalogne, about 50 minutes from the Spanish border. No music venues here though. Or shops. Or bars. Just a weird but generally friendly bunch of folks that fled Franco's Spain, and a few lefty Italian types who arrived in the 1950s and the odd (and I mean odd) Brit like me who likes Cumbia and Vallenato music.

2 hours ago, meterman said:

Just off the Av. de Catalogne, about 50 minutes from the Spanish border. No music venues here though. Or shops. Or bars. Just a weird but generally friendly bunch of folks that fled Franco's Spain, and a few lefty Italian types who arrived in the 1950s and the odd (and I mean odd) Brit like me who likes Cumbia and Vallenato music.

Ah, I have a french accordionist pal who's seriously into Colombian folk and the like but also seems to try and cross genres like folk and jazz. Always on the lookout for people to play with but he's a couple of hundred kilometres north of you if you're that close to the border. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leschirons said:

Ah, I have a french accordionist pal who's seriously into Colombian folk and the like but also seems to try and cross genres like folk and jazz. Always on the lookout for people to play with but he's a couple of hundred kilometres north of you if you're that close to the border. 

Yeah, I’m very ‘out of the way’ South! 

Funny enough I did have a Cumbia band going for a couple of months in London in 2018. Colombian percussionist, Spanish combo organ player (couldn’t find an accordion player), Scottish bass player and myself on guitar. Trouble was, everyone said “ooh yes, let’s play Cumbia” but the percussionist was too Salsa influenced to keep it simple enough, the organ player really wanted to be in a 1960s garage rock revival band, and the bassist revealed himself to be a total jazz fusion head who kept trying to crowbar Jaco licks into everything. Good laugh at rehearsals but not the real thing.

Shame really, as that particular combination never properly gelled but a decent rocking Cumbia band will usually have dancefloors heaving. C’est la vie, and all that.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2024 at 00:32, rwillett said:

I never thought I'd ever say "Bravo, more, more..." to a bagpipe and accordian duo. I didn't have that on my bingo card for this week...

Wonderful playing, skilful and the accordian player was in a world of his own.

I am humbled by what you can do here.

Rob

now if they could just bring in a banjo..

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Always loved this track. Punk French Flamenco???

Saw them live (only once, sadly) and they were amazing, probably one of the best gigs I've seen, although I bet it would have been proper hard graft for them, absolutely belting it out 100% every night. 

Their guitarist was later involved with the Parisian band Elzef who I posted earlier in the thread. Les Negresses Vertes though 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Edited by meterman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, meterman said:

Saw them live (only once, sadly) and they were amazing, probably one of the best gigs I've seen, although I bet it would have been proper hard graft for them, absolutely belting it out 100% every night. 

Their guitarist was later involved with the Parisian band Elzef who I posted earlier in the thread. Les Negresses Vertes though 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I was working for a record company when this came out. Our big act was the Gipsy Kings. I liked GKs a lot, but thought Les Negresses Vertes were way, way cooler.