Why become a member? ×

Fender P Bass 1995 MIJ vs 1999 CIJ vs new MIM Player

alonbl

Hello. I saw someone sells a couple of precision bass from Japan. He priced them the same as a new MIM Player. Also mantioned that the CIJ is pb57-US (USA pickups). Which one is a better buy?

On 15/06/2024 at 09:34, alonbl said:

Hello. I saw someone sells a couple of precision bass from Japan. He priced them the same as a new MIM Player. Also mantioned that the CIJ is pb57-US (USA pickups). Which one is a better buy?

I've owned quite a few Japanese Fenders and, in my experience, they're all great.  If you're planning on buying one, I recommend trying them before you buy if you can. Normally they go for around £700 in a private sale.

Remember if you buy a secondhand Japanese bass, you can always sell it for the same price you bought it for but if you buy a new MIM Player you won't get your money back if you want to sell it on.

Speaking generally I believe there are both for export and non export models of Japanese Fender with the non export being of better quality with Ash or Alder bodies as opposed to Basswood. I thing the non export ones have the grooved bridge saddles as opposed to smooth, the large vintage style tuners and the hootenanny button on the back of the headstock. The export models are generally still decent basses but the non export ones are the special ones.