Why become a member? ×

Speakon Question

spongebob

I've posted this in A&C...apologies if in the wrong forum.

Simple question....can I have a Speakon Cable with a 2 pole end, and 4 pole at the other? 

Only ask, as my Markbass amp needs 2 pole, and my backup, older MB cab, will only work either a 4 pole. It won't connect properly to the two unless I wiggle and hold it in!

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

Excuse my stupidity…..so I could get Designacable, for example, to make a cable, 2 pole one end and 4 pole the other? That would be ok? 

Yes. As Nile points out, just get the 4 pole plug wired on pins 1+ and 1-. I wouldn't bother going to Designacable for something that simple. They're good, but you'll pay for the privilege. Speakons are very simple to wire. No soldering needed. You just strip the cable, push it into the terminals and tighten the cross head screws. Job done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few of the cable companies on eBay are cheaper than designacable for the same thing, I've used these before:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/ultimateproaudioltd

For instance a lead I need (50cm Van Damme, Neutrik Jack M to Locking Neutrik F) is £31 delivered at designacable and £23 with that seller so not much more than buying the parts and making the cable myself. Exacltly the same components and colour options, shoot them a message if you want something specific. Cable builders make most of their money by bulk purchase on components, Designacable just whack a massive premium on top of that.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1