Why become a member? ×

Electric bass string recommendations

A relatively new bassist, I’ve reached the point I need to change the strings on my Fender Precision electric bass. I play in a mostly acoustic band accompanied by a violin so we’re not talking Metallica riffs or Nile Rogers funky stuff - I play a lot of slides and like to keep the intonation delicate enough so I can move around the fretboard on some nice little runs and melodies. There seems to be a whole load of options for strings and I was wondering what favourites some of you might recommend? 

It sounds like flatwounds might suit your sound and style - they have a bit more 'thump' than roundwounds, and they last for ages - years in most cases.

I like LaBella deep talkin' flats on my Precision.

If you fancy trying flats but don't want to break the bank, Adagio are a good, cheap (£20 ish) introduction.

If you like roundwounds, Ernie Ball Slnkys are pretty good IMHO.

Let us know how you get on!

For electric bass in an acoustic band, D'Addario EXP Reds used to be my favourite as they were copper coated and had a suggestion of acoustic bass strings in their sound. Sadly they're not available any more and I've not seen anything similar coming to market of late - though I'd be interested to know if anyone else has.

Of the strings that you can still get I personally favour Dunlop Super-Bright Nickels as they have quite a light and flexible feel, they sound nice and clear, and I find them comparatively easy on my fingers.

I like the sound (and the feel - some people don't) of Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky flats, but it seems that every time I put flats on a bass I end up selling it within a year as I'm just not using it any more.

There is a very vocal minority on this site who rave about flatwound strings but unless you are looking to reproduce sounds from '70s TV cop show soundtracks or Motown thud, I'd advise caution.

I like DR Sunbeams, they sound great, are relatively long-lived and have a gentle feel which might be attractive if you play a lot of slides.

14 minutes ago, pete.young said:

There is a very vocal minority on this site who rave about flatwound strings but unless you are looking to reproduce sounds from '70s TV cop show soundtracks or Motown thud, I'd advise caution.

As one of the (not particularly vocal) minority, I have to say that flats are way more versatile than you assert. Yes, a well worn set of La Bellas will give you that Motown thud, but there are many more options. Ernie Ball Cobalts, for example, or even D'Addario Chromes, are much brighter, especially if you use the lighter gauges (which have the added benefit of being easy on the fingers).

• Like 1

Precision is not the most versatile nor the brightest instrument in the world of bass. Therefore roundwounds (RW) could give you more highs that you can tame with tone, and keeping the strings in the bass over a year. They become dull, and stiffer.

To find your favourite set, here are few basic ideas of different string types:

- SS RW (stainless steel), brightest string type

- nickel RW, somewhat duller, but also more even response, most common, very good for fretless

- groundwound/semiflats, nearly as dull as flatwounds

- flatwounds (I include tapewounds here), dullest, "gets better while aging"

Then the RW gauge (these differ from manufacturer to another, because of the string construction):

- 30-90 very light, these strings shout slap!

- 40-100 light

- 45-105 regular

- 50 and up, heavy

Gauge has a lot to do with the feel. Be warned that practically every string gauge can produce very similar sound, because your touch dictates (or should dictate) the sound. It may be feasible to find the gauge that you feel at home. Do some testing in a shop.

If your bass has not been set up by a pro, it should be done with a brand new set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

I like the sound (and the feel - some people don't) of Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky flats, but it seems that every time I put flats on a bass I end up selling it within a year as I'm just not using it any more.

+1 for cobalt slinky.

*Sort of* halfway between flats and rounds.

21 hours ago, pete.young said:

I like DR Sunbeams, they sound great, are relatively long-lived and have a gentle feel which might be attractive if you play a lot of slides.

I had a set on my Atelier Z Baby Z-4J and loved them. They have a round core rather than hexagonal, but despite the supposed lower tension of a round core they felt relatively tight even on my 30" shortscale (I used 045-105's). They were great, and defined but not overly bright. 

I've been using nothing but Elixirs for almost 15 years until I got my first headless bass, and Elixir don't do double ball end strings so I had to start using uncoated strings again. It has led me to try different string types on several of my basses and it's been a fun journey so far - but I've come back to Elixirs on most of my headed longscale basses as I just enjoy the feel of coated strings and love how long they hold that "new string-tone". I have GHS Boomers on the Atelier Z shortscale now (and a set of Slinky's waiting to go on next after the Boomers die), and La Bella Deep Talkin Flats on my Sandberg Lionel. 

I am not recommending flat wounds or round wounds but what I have found is I don't have to spend a fortune on strings that produce the sound I am looking for.

IMO give some cheaper brands a go you might be surprised.

I would recommend flatwounds based on what you've written, general advice is to go a gauge lighter than the equivalent roundwound. I use La bella but have used GHS in the past, these are on the darker more traditional side but there are also brighter flats such as Fender, D'addario, Rotosound.