Why become a member? ×

Gig posters using AI

@Happy Jack as young Francis says, I've been dabbling with AI for band posters for a while now. The main thing I'd highly recommend is spending some doing a bit of homework first. Identify which AI system you want to use and then sink some time in learning what's called prompt engineering, which is essentially telling the AI what you want and to get it to create what you have in mind. Different AI bots react differently to different prompts so it might be worth selecting one AI system and then spending some trying to figure out what prompts work best for your needs with that variant. For example, my current preference is for Microsoft Copilot which, for me at least, consistently generates better results than something like Adobe Firefly even though the former is a general AI bot and the latter is a dedicated image generator. 

But a couple of pointers, IME, are to;

• Sink some time into learning how to use it as the more refined the prompt the more impressive the result will be. Can't stress this enough. But it's not that difficult if you're even a little bit tech savvy. 
  • In the case of Copilot at least, treat it like you're talking to a toddler, use clear and concise language.
  • Often, specifying what you don't want is as important as specifying what you do want. 
  • Generating photo quality images is tricky but can be done once you know how what prompts the bot needs to work with.
  • But getting images that look like you or the other band members, for example, is much trickier and beyond my current level of understanding, so if you want people and faces, odds are you'll end up with a generic AI generated face rather than a mirror image of whoever. 
  • Getting it to generate band logos is a bit more tricky and most of my efforts have resulted in typos despite telling it what text I want. 

Here's a couple of examples of images I've created,

434293275_424203176787920_55327820169646

The above image was generated in Copilot and the logo and text overlaid in PowerPoint.

The photo below was created in honour of @Raymondo who frequents an ale house called The Burnt Pig. It took me a while to get the prompt right for this but it shows you can get something close to photo quality with a bit of trial and error. 

Ray.thumb.png.18c89d2eb410f2bddc8a37d91a3efdff.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Getting it to generate band logos is a bit more tricky and most of my efforts have resulted in typos despite telling it what text I want. 

The below is from one of the free text to image AI's. I went through the options and asked it to create a logo for my band who are named 'Electric Soup'.

My band are now called 'Electrik Soup' 😆

ElectrikSoup.thumb.jpeg.dd23c3a8c672bcf52cc2a6c9f02d2ddf.jpeg

• Like 2

This is all very interesting. So far I've been the one creating logos and posters for the bands, so I don't think we'd need that service from AI. In other words: NO I WILL NOT BE REPLACED BY A FRIGGIN' ROBOT!! 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though, ad-hoc images where the band can be added in.

@Happy Jack, are you thinking of a more sophisticated version of this image we created years ago? The Junkyard Dogs (4-piece version with @MacDaddy on lead geetar) playing Addicted To Love - almost.

Date 11/08/2015.

AddictedToLove-TheDogs.jpg.81b2a70f1a7fde502e256634d2ccf2b4.jpg

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

@Osiris - can you pick up these images in Photoshop?

I assume so as once I'm happy with whatever the AI has generated I save it as a jpeg or gif file and go from there. So assuming you can load standard file formats into Photoshop (I've not used it for years so can't remember) you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

The band I am in is The Desert Penguins. I used some free app to create the first attached image. I specifically asked for a black scratch plate on the Strat....

I then tried to get some images just for me. AI does not yet fully understand the concept of left handedness, and when it does it doesn't get 1957 black P bass, with black scratch plate and chrome pickup cover.

markup_1000028403.jpg

starryai_v2esn.png

starryai_o5hne.png

starryai_0b8bf.png

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

AI does not yet fully understand the concept of left handedness

It would be more accurate to say the AI that you used doesn't. Or didn't. It's algorithms may have since been updated.

As @Osiris said different AI bots react in different ways. 

Edited by MacDaddy
  • Like 1

These AI image generators, is it possible to punch in a few words or even sentences and then get it to generate an image based on those words or sentences? I'm thinking about an album cover based on either a lyric or meaning behind the song and rather than asking for an artist to interpret it as a piece of art, see what the AI come up with. Is that possible to do?

17 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

These AI image generators, is it possible to punch in a few words or even sentences and then get it to generate an image based on those words or sentences? I'm thinking about an album cover based on either a lyric or meaning behind the song and rather than asking for an artist to interpret it as a piece of art, see what the AI come up with. Is that possible to do?

Yes it is, that's what I did above. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Yes, but you will get different results depending on which you use.

• Like 1

I used an image generator to help create our last album cover.  I asked for 4 men facing a setting sun in the style of Claude Monet. Chose this one from 16 options, some of which had 5 people. Our singer sometimes wears a hat like this. Had to remove a hat from one of the other 3, changed the colours completely by converting to b&w then recolouring the sun,  and did some other tweaks. Added the text myself ( used Gimp for all the manipulation )

IMG_0159.JPEG

• Like 2