Why become a member? ×

NBD Status CW-2 5 string

woodyratm

Few months back I got thinking if I was happy with my tone from my Dingwall basses… and the answer was “ish”. But I always loved my Status basses. Given my band were down at G# i thought there was no way I could use one again. 

My guitarist suggested trying to play at A# on a 5, so much more attainable and likely stable. And it worked, most of our stuff can be done at half step down, and for those G# times the Quad Cortex does a fine job.

So, given Rob was feeling better and making basses again - albeit wooden with graphite reinforcement - I decided to place an order for a CW-2 with blue tint and white LEDs. I’d been after this combo for years. I thought the bass would still sound good, even though it wasn’t rocking as much carbon graphite as my CW-1. Possibly different, but still good!

It has now arrived and… it’s fantastic. Great feeling, and the sound is awesome. Very similar to the CW-1. I went straight into a session to record a new track and it sat so well. 

I’m a very happy bunny. I am now considering selling my Dingwall 😂 potentially ordering another Status! 

If you’re considering a new Status, but think “oh they’re not made of graphite now”; don’t worry. They are still sounding brilliant. Genuinely excellent basses! 

IMG_7744.jpeg

IMG_7742.jpeg

• Like 9

Lovely! So far I've been hearing nothing but praise for the new Series 23 and CW-2. 

I tune my headless S2 Classic (with graphite neck) down to A with fairly light strings (040-125) and although the tension is low it still sounds tight and punchy. I use mine in a doom metal band with two 7-string guitars to punch up to, and it sits really well. I would love to try one of the new ones, but as a lefty I would have to order one to be able to - if Rob still makes lefties, that is. I'm so happy with my current Status basses I have no desire for another though :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

I've been through quite a lot of basses and though I'm "done" with acquiring new ones I'd love a Status if finances ever allow for it.

I was doing more recording last night, and both put smiles on me. Seriously considering selling my Dingwall and getting a 3rd. Considering the V-Man maybe.

• Like 1