Why become a member? ×

Contrasting Cover Versions by Same Artist

4 hours ago, SPHDS said:

The one (or would that be two.....!?!) that come to mind for me (albeit one is a '.......and........') are....

And......

I prefer the 'Fast' Version......my old guitarist, the 'Slow'......so we were going to do a mash up of both.......until the drummer threw a tantrum and quit over not being able to go to the beach......but that is another story.....!

We do both in 1 song , slow straight into the fast version, usually goes down well!

• Like 1

Sorry, can't post them as my internet is currently running on steam, but much like @Dad3353 says with the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan likes to change things around with his vast repertoire. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright is one of the really obvious choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first mainstream re-version that I heard was the Beatles Revolution. 

Loud overdrive version on the B side of a single (hey Jude, I think) 

Acoustic guitar version on The White Album. 

I won't even bother looking them up on YouTube, as Beatles stuff is taken down. 

You could go back in time to The Reverend Gary Davies (American blind country blues guitarist 1930s to early 1970s), and listen to Candy man, as the straight 4/4 version, or a waltz in 3/4, or a stop-time (buck and wing dance) version. However, that's probably too obscure.

So, here instead is Hugh Cornwell's Mariachi version of Golden Brown, more familiar to listeners when he performed it as part of the Stranglers.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2024 at 22:27, Mykesbass said:

Sorry, can't post them as my internet is currently running on steam, but much like @Dad3353 says with the Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan likes to change things around with his vast repertoire. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright is one of the really obvious choices.

Another Serial Reworker is Paul Simon.

Here, his bluegrass version of Gone at Last.

And the original recorded version. So difficult, that even his live bands can't manage it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lowdown said:

Bruce Hornsby got together with Ricky Scaggs and recorded a Blue Grass version of 'The Way It Is'. 

But then again, Bruce was a Country boy at heart.

The bluegrass version sounds like the original, correct version  - the lyrics, the chord structure, the main theme played on violin. All lend itself to the genre.

The more familiar version sounds like a modern cover version. 

There seems to be a whole bluegrass industry dedicated to covering pop songs - without derailing the thread: Rocket Man; Put a Ring on It;  You Rocked me all night long. All are out there on YouTube, and arguably sound better (or at least, historically older) as a bluegrass version. 

• Like 1

Bauhaus did two fairly different versions of Spirit. Once on the LP The Sky's Gone Out and then also as a single (it not just being a trimmed down shorted version).

LP version

Single version

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I would include anything on Portishead's "Roseland NYC Live" versus their original recorded counterparts - the addition of the orchestra does take the recordings somewhere else, in the sense that I ended up preferring them to the original output.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

the addition of the orchestra does take the recordings somewhere else, in the sense that I ended up preferring them to the original output.

Dagny Norvoll Sandvik, Norway's so-called pop queen, did that to me with some of her orchestral versions, though in that case I wouldn't call them "contrasting" but just "a bit more satisfying to me".

Can't post all the individual songs' YT links, but here's the full orchestral show. One should be able to click on individual songs just below the vid window:

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/kork-hele-landets-orkester/sesong/2021/episode/MKKA11003420 
Well worth it, IMHO.

One original though: "Love You Like That"

• Thanks 1

On 19/06/2024 at 08:21, bass_dinger said:

Beatles Revolution. 

I won't even bother looking them up on YouTube, as Beatles stuff is taken down. 

These two videos have been up for six years....

The original album version

Going electric for Hey Jude B-side

• Thanks 2

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for these - I've got quite a playlist now, with some useful and interesting additions from here too. Great stuff indeed!