Why become a member? ×

What's happened to the "Wanted" thread...

TheGreek

Question

16 answers to this question

will you be changing the accounts of people similar to myself who have been on here for 15 odd years but do not feel the need to comment unless they have something relevant to say, occasionally buys or sells something, attends bass bashes so that I/we can continue to access all parts of the forum ?

Ah I’ve been playing with it. It might be back soon or there’s a chance we might make it visible to supporting members only to stop people trying to scam people (we have found a couple of people who have messaged saying ‘hey I have that thing you want’ then used pictures from the internet (I.e not their own)). Watch this space, it might be up and down whilst we discuss it. 

Making it for supporting members only would also mean we can allow replies to posts, which will make it much more useful. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ped said:

Making it for supporting members only would also mean we can allow replies to posts, which will make it much more useful. 

That would be welcome Ped 👍

12 hours ago, ped said:

Making it for supporting members only would also mean we can allow replies to posts, which will make it much more useful

Great idea, and like you say it would reduce any scammers 

13 hours ago, ped said:

What proportion of the active membership are supporting members? Is there a fairly easy way to work that out?

Surely, instead of restricting access to the wanted section, it's better to restrict access to the messaging function for new members.

I have adverts there that I'm now unable to edit. I have in the past used it to buy gear and on occasion sell items.

8 hours ago, ambient said:

Surely, instead of restricting access to the wanted section, it's better to restrict access to the messaging function for new members.

I have adverts there that I'm now unable to edit. I have in the past used it to buy gear and on occasion sell items.

No because that would stop people joining to buy things people have posted for sale. This penalises paying sellers and the new members too. 

It’s not ideal but it’s not safe to have wanted ads out there in the public domain for catfishing. 

Happy to remove your wanted ads or edit them if you like. 

Cheers

On 19/06/2024 at 11:21, tauzero said:

What proportion of the active membership are supporting members? Is there a fairly easy way to work that out?

Actually tricky as you have to define what active membership is - people who have posted in a certain time, people who have logged in in a certain time? And what is that time. If you don't log out, and your browser keeps the cache, it doesn't show you logging in, so someone could be here for a long time with no indication they were there

2 hours ago, ped said:

No because that would stop people joining to buy things people have posted for sale. This penalises paying sellers and the new members too. 

It’s not ideal but it’s not safe to have wanted ads out there in the public domain for catfishing. 

Happy to remove your wanted ads or edit them if you like. 

Cheers

So, restrict access to the wanted section for new members until they've made a certain number of posts and gained a reputation. There is, of course, nothing stopping a would-be scammer from becoming a supporting member, without building a reputation on the site.

I used to be a supporting member. I cancelled two days before it was due to renew after one of the mods was rude and disrespectful a while ago.

Thanks for the offer to edit the adverts. I've joined some Facebook groups and posted wanted ads there.

18 minutes ago, ambient said:

So, restrict access to the wanted section for new members until they've made a certain number of posts and gained a reputation. There is, of course, nothing stopping a would-be scammer from becoming a supporting member, without building a reputation on the site.

I used to be a supporting member. I cancelled two days before it was due to renew after one of the mods was rude and disrespectful a while ago.

Thanks for the offer to edit the adverts. I've joined some Facebook groups and posted wanted ads there.

I’m afraid that leads to speed posting and although normally obvious it is a lot of work to weed out and compromises the quality of the discussions. 

I suppose one way to look at it is that by supporting the site we are able to support you too. 

25 minutes ago, ambient said:

Thats exactly how it was. So we have some people coming in and taking over unused accounts with weak passwords from people who haven't been there in years but have got a reasonable post count and reputation and offering items to sale to scam people. And people are seeing those people and seeing they have a standing here and sending them money.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Actually tricky as you have to define what active membership is - people who have posted in a certain time, people who have logged in in a certain time? And what is that time. If you don't log out, and your browser keeps the cache, it doesn't show you logging in, so someone could be here for a long time with no indication they were there

Logged in over the last six months, say. Browsers get updated more frequently than that, and most people will get updates either to their browsers or their OSes which will cause a logout. I await a vast chorus of people saying that they're still on WinXP and never update Internet Explorer v6.

15 minutes ago, Captain Rumble said:

will you be changing the accounts of people similar to myself who have been on here for 15 odd years but do not feel the need to comment unless they have something relevant to say, occasionally buys or sells something, attends bass bashes so that I/we can continue to access all parts of the forum ?

We haven’t changed anyone’s account. It’s fantastic that so many people support the site and its continued success. Whatever I say will be misconstrued probably but if members have been here for several years then it would be amazing if they could support what we do by becoming a supporting member. This decision had to be made to stop scammers picking on the site, which is a pain and frankly something we’d prefer to have left alone. For a while we stopped it in other ways but the sheer volume and admin burden meant that we had to use the system membership levels to raise a drawbridge, so to speak.