Why become a member? ×

DIY simple combo tilt back stand

basstone

I needed a simple lightweight and compact tilt back stand for my 1 x 10" Combo so that I could hear myself better. After a bit of thought, I made the stand shown in the photos from a piece of scrap 10mm MDF. The "v" is offset to provide 2 different tilt back angles to suit the stage layout - which is usually very cramped in a 20 piece big band or the corner of the bar for a jazz gig so my amp is usually tucked quite close to my side. It fits easily into my cable bag when dismantled and is stable when in use. The finish is furniture wax applied with fine wire wool.

IMG_8730.thumb.JPG.00d759575d9b17bb60c101684d721b02.JPG

IMG_8729.thumb.JPG.a20a35d7bfc626b86582c133979d4d82.JPG

IMG_8731.thumb.JPG.c86ced779a89402719a4a914df1fdfb6.JPG

• Like 15

Very neat. 👍

How big is the stand? It looks quite small, and I'm thinking if it was too small then the cab would just tilt over backwards as the centre of gravity must be near but above the middle of the speaker 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard R said:

Very neat. 👍

How big is the stand? It looks quite small, and I'm thinking if it was too small then the cab would just tilt over backwards as the centre of gravity must be near but above the middle of the speaker 

Thanks! To give you a bit more insight into my thinking - It was made specifically for my own build combo as shown in the photo, which itself was designed to be a compact as possible.  I use it for jazz and big band  rehearsals and gigs. I also wanted the stand to  fit inside my cable  or music bag  so decided when dismantled it should fit within an A4 page footprint. The dimensions are: 28cm L  by 21cm W by 16cm H, 10mm thick MDF.  I have not had any problems with stability, most of the weight in the cab is the driver (Faital pro 10PR320 at 3.2Kg) and the amp is a very compact class D 300W amp which weighs about 2Kg, overall cab weight is about 13Kg.

This design could easily be scaled to a bigger size to suit a different or bigger combo or cab and the angle of tilt changed also. I have found the two different angle options to be very useful for different situations. My initial thought was to fit some Fender cab tilt back arms to the cab, until I saw the price of them! This stand cost me nothing but about an hour of time as I already had scrap MDF sheet and some furniture wax polish.

One other point worth noting is that the slots need to be quite accurate otherwise it can come apart a bit too easily! The fit  did become slightly loose after a few weeks of use so I added some clear gorilla tape to shim the slots and it adds some grip to the assembled fit which is helpful.  Overall I am very pleased with the functionality of such a simple and inexpensive bit of kit.

• Like 4

I have an old EBS session 60 for use at home, which is made with the back corner chopped out so it can tilt back.

If one day I need  to buy a gigging amp then I shall definitely pinch the flat pack idea.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2024 at 21:15, basstone said:

I needed a simple lightweight and compact tilt back stand for my 1 x 10" Combo so that I could hear myself better. After a bit of thought, I made the stand shown in the photos from a piece of scrap 10mm MDF. The "v" is offset to provide 2 different tilt back angles to suit the stage layout - which is usually very cramped in a 20 piece big band or the corner of the bar for a jazz gig so my amp is usually tucked quite close to my side. It fits easily into my cable bag when dismantled and is stable when in use. The finish is furniture wax applied with fine wire wool.

IMG_8730.thumb.JPG.00d759575d9b17bb60c101684d721b02.JPG

IMG_8729.thumb.JPG.a20a35d7bfc626b86582c133979d4d82.JPG

IMG_8731.thumb.JPG.c86ced779a89402719a4a914df1fdfb6.JPG

That's great! 👍🏼

• Like 1