Why become a member? ×

Selling stuff

Is it me or is selling really slow at the moment..I like to think I price fairly for my gear ..I’ve sold quite quickly on eBay but the fee’s are scary..I might be guilty not always trying to sell your typical “fender”..or “Ernie ball ..and I’ve actually ended up getting better deals selling  to bass direct they always seem to give really good prices…

• Like 1

I think it depends on your location and which platform you’re using to sell your gear. And what gear you’re selling as well.

My preferred option is to sell on Reverb, as it’s just for music gear, which narrows down the search engine. In the last two weeks I’ve sold €2500 worth of various items on there. Yes, there’s fees, but there’s fees wherever you sell. Unless it’s to a mate, or down the pub.

If I was still in the UK and selling bass gear my first choice would be here on Basschat. Ebay wouldn’t get a look in from me, the timewasters and non-payers pretty much killed it for me years ago. 

Yeah, it is super slow at the moment. I've noticed a lot of the same equipment is still available and hasn't shifted and some items are really well priced. No idea why its slow to be honest.

4 hours ago, meterman said:

I think it depends on your location and which platform you’re using to sell your gear. And what gear you’re selling as well.

My preferred option is to sell on Reverb, as it’s just for music gear, which narrows down the search engine. In the last two weeks I’ve sold €2500 worth of various items on there. Yes, there’s fees, but there’s fees wherever you sell. Unless it’s to a mate, or down the pub.

If I was still in the UK and selling bass gear my first choice would be here on Basschat. Ebay wouldn’t get a look in from me, the timewasters and non-payers pretty much killed it for me years ago. 

I think location is a factor yes and having the “in gear” helps ..I’ve often thought about reverb ..I’ve purchased off there but never sold ..

4 hours ago, meterman said:

Or unless you qualify for fee-free listings on Ebay and it's a fee-free weekend (or month, more rarely).

5 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Or unless you qualify for fee-free listings on Ebay and it's a fee-free weekend (or month, more rarely).

Those have been few and far between recently, the greedy tightwads.  I've taken advantage of that a few times before.

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Yarp, it be slow out there.

Dear God Neeps, I had no idea you'd moved to Cornwall. No good comes from attending all these bass-bashes you know. (No insult to Cornwall intended - I'm sure it's all very nice and Mr Stein says it's purty.)

eBay's selling fees are crazy, taking a percent of the postage is a complete p!ss take. But. They get the widest audience so for me and my left handed items it's a necessary evil if I don't get a bite on here or Reverb quickly enough 

• Like 2

I’ve bought 2 bass ‘a of reverb ..one had a broken truss nut ..the other had a neck as straight as a banana but I got it for a good price and rectified the problem myself so I’m a little sceptical of reverb 

Had 3 basses off reverb without issue, not tried selling as yet. A couple of sales on marketplace have gone ok and 1 bass and a few bits on here.

It is slow even when keenly priced though.

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Those have been few and far between recently, the greedy tightwads.  I've taken advantage of that a few times before.

I get offered 80% off selling fees every other weekend (as in literally like clockwork), I thought everyone got them?!

11 minutes ago, mattpbass said:

I get offered 80% off selling fees every other weekend (as in literally like clockwork), I thought everyone got them?!

It used to be nada fees, that's my point.

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

eBay's selling fees are crazy, taking a percent of the postage is a complete p!ss take. But. They get the widest audience so for me and my left handed items it's a necessary evil if I don't get a bite on here or Reverb quickly enough 

Compare to an actual auction house where you could be paying 30% seller's commission and the buyer could be paying 30% buyer's commission.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neepheid said:

Yarp, it be slow out there.

Me, and many others like me are looking forward to a drop in the interest rates. We might have to wait until August though..

8 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Anybody have experience of selling on Facebook? I look at items there and I've thought about selling but not sure if there are fees. 

No fees but you have to pay due diligence as there is no comeback on the seller!  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

No fees but you have to pay due diligence as there is no comeback on the seller!  

Yep and also make sure they exist ..almost got caught selling my darkglass amp ..usuall scam ..a courier will bring cash and collect….obviously the bass groups are usually okay .

Just recently sold about £1500 worth of gear locally on marketplace. A few days later it turns up on ebay at quite a hefty markup. Now, I couldn't care less, I got what I wanted and it isn't selling anyway. What got my goat was that a TE cabinet I listed on marketplace appeared on his ebay listings, same wording etc and the bloke hadn't yet bought it from me. Cheeky bugger. I pulled my ad and 2 days later his ebay listing vanished. 🙄

4 minutes ago, JazzyJ said:

Just recently sold about £1500 worth of gear locally on marketplace. A few days later it turns up on ebay at quite a hefty markup.

It might appear on eBay at fantasy island prices, but that doesn't mean it will sell for them. I've seen stuff sit on there for months because the prices were obviously straight from la-la land. If stuff wasn't selling at your reasonable price, it's highly unlikely to shift on eBay at a stupid markup unless someone naïve buys it.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's slow at the mo... I'm guessing money's tight all round.

IME, ebay is OK as long as you take advantage of the 80% off fees offers (but read the small print - I got stung for a hefty extra whack selling some vintage comics as they went for an eye-popping amount of money (but that's another story)).
As someone above said, it's the widest audience by quite some distance, and for a lot of (non music) stuff, it's the only game in town.

Personally, I wouldn't sell on FB Marketplace, I've heard too many horror stories.

17 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

It might appear on eBay at fantasy island prices, but that doesn't mean it will sell for them. I've seen stuff sit on there for months because the prices were obviously straight from la-la land. If stuff wasn't selling at your reasonable price, it's highly unlikely to shift on eBay at a stupid markup unless someone naïve buys it.

I get that. I would have appreciated him actually buying the cabinet from me first though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I’ve said before, a guitar shop owner told me the used market is “a lot of people which not very desirable items trying to charge shop prices then getting upset when they don’t sell…”

The whole used market is due a reset. Too many people trying to charge what shops do with none of the benefits.

The stuff that hangs around (there are some listings here that get bumped every week with no change to price) are pretty much all over-priced items that are common.

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 6