Why become a member? ×

Selling stuff

27 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

As I’ve said before, a guitar shop owner told me the used market is “a lot of people which not very desirable items trying to charge shop prices then getting upset when they don’t sell…”

The whole used market is due a reset. Too many people trying to charge what shops do with none of the benefits.

Very true. In practice, the price you can expect for a used item (barring rare, collectable and similar) in good condition is normally around half new retail.  

Definitely slow at the moment. I think after covid everyone had about a year of spending then everything very quickly tightened. 

Just look at the stuff for sale on here. That would have flown out in a day before covid. 

10 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Very true. In practice, the price you can expect for a used item (barring rare, collectable and similar) in good condition is normally around half new retail.  

I think that’s the general rule with most thing nowadays  musical or not ..

• Like 1

Just now, patrikmarky said:

People can obviously advertise things at whatever prices they wish. But when you’re trying to get £500 for a Fender Player Series jazz bass I’d take it as a sign you maybe have priced things a bit too high and save the exasperated posts.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, patrikmarky said:

Not sure about that. Some things, such as cars, consumer electronics, appliances and similar, are worse. Sometimes much worse. Anything that becomes obsolete or for which desire is ruled by fashion loses value as if it was sitting in a bath of acid.

Edited by Dan Dare

It seems that, unless you are selling the current hot thing, it’s not going to sell unless you are willing to go well below market value. Time to take advantage and buy 5ers and non-barefaced cabs.

6 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

eBay's selling fees are crazy, taking a percent of the postage is a complete p!ss take. But. They get the widest audience so for me and my left handed items it's a necessary evil if I don't get a bite on here or Reverb quickly enough 

You can thank the muppets that tried to be smart by selling a bass for 99p with £400 postage costs for eBay putting commission on postage costs. 

I actually completely disagree that ebay's fees are unreasonable. There are lots of reasons to complain about ebay but the fees aren't one of them - financially ebay is a fantastic deal. Everyone just expects something for nothing these days it seems. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

I actually completely disagree that ebay's fees are unreasonable. There are lots of reasons to complain about ebay but the fees aren't one of them - financially ebay is a fantastic deal. Everyone just expects something for nothing these days it seems. 

I agree. It works out at roughly 10%, which is a lot less than auctions, having an item sold by a shop, etc. Sure, you have to deal with prospective purchasers, etc, but if you're sensible and not afraid to tell chancers to get lost, that's no hardship.

For me, the biggest advantage is not having to set a price and let the market decide. I start things off at obviously less than their value to encourage bids and let it carry on from there. Occasionally, I've been pleasantly surprised.

11 hours ago, dclaassen said:

It seems that, unless you are selling the current hot thing, it’s not going to sell unless you are willing to go well below market value.

"Market value" is what a willing purchaser is prepared to pay. Market value is not what we, as individuals, think it should be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

Fair point. But we do get a lot for nothing these days: gumtree, Facebook marketplace, etc. and then the way that sellers can be completely shafted in any kind of dispute makes me question the value.

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

"Market value" is what a willing purchaser is prepared to pay. Market value is not what we, as individuals, think it should be.

Agreed. Let's take a bog-standard US Musicman Stingray. 

I've seen these for sale used in shops from between £1400-£1500.

Private sellers are trying to achieve the same prices without considering the costs of new strings and set up, delivery costs, credit card fees (2-2.5%), a small profit for the retailer.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2024 at 09:55, patrikmarky said:

Is it me or is selling really slow at the moment..I like to think I price fairly for my gear ..I’ve sold quite quickly on eBay but the fee’s are scary..I might be guilty not always trying to sell your typical “fender”..or “Ernie ball ..and I’ve actually ended up getting better deals selling  to bass direct they always seem to give really good prices…

Very slow. I've been watching something fail to sell on eBay despite the owner chain-auctioning it (i.e. as soon as it fails to sell because it hasn't met his reserve price it immediately goes back up at the same starting price and same reserve)

5 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Agreed. Let's take a bog-standard US Musicman Stingray. 

I've seen these for sale used in shops from between £1400-£1500.

Private sellers are trying to achieve the same prices without considering the costs of new strings and set up, delivery costs, credit card fees (2-2.5%), a small profit for the retailer.

Doesn’t seem that long ago you could get a USA stingray for under a £1000 and a USA sub for under £400 but I guess I could be showing my age now 🤟it was definitely this century though 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, patrikmarky said:

Doesn’t seem that long ago you could get a USA stingray for under a £1000 and a USA sub for under £400 but I guess I could be showing my age now 🤟it was definitely this century though 

I bought the two I've owned in the mid-2000s and they were about £1250 brand new. Can't believe what they go for now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Fair point. But we do get a lot for nothing these days: gumtree, Facebook marketplace, etc. and then the way that sellers can be completely shafted in any kind of dispute makes me question the value.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've listed stuff on gumtree, Facebook, forums, etc that hasn't gone anywhere only for it to sell almost instantly the second I list it on ebay - and usually at a higher price too. 

I've also encountered far more chancers and nutters via Facebook and Gumtree, if I'm being honest. 

Ebay isnt perfect but I still think it's the best way to actually shift stuff. 

Edited by uncle psychosis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, patrikmarky said:

2016 I sold a black and maple, 2 band, single humbucker (so about as wide appeal as they get) for £750.

On 20/06/2024 at 18:56, uncle psychosis said:

I've lost count of the amount of times I've listed stuff on gumtree, Facebook, forums, etc that hasn't gone anywhere only for it to sell almost instantly the second I list it on ebay - and usually at a higher price too. 

I've also encountered far more chancers and nutters via Facebook and Gumtree, if I'm being honest. 

Ebay isnt perfect but I still think it's the best way to actually shift stuff. 

Yep ..I put my gk amp on there today ..literally sold in an hour 👍…it did go for a better price than I’d advertised on here ..but with the fees it’s what I would have let it go to another bass chatter..just feels better selling on here 🤟

• Like 3

I’m after a nice stingray at the moment and I know what I think they’re worth and what I’m prepared to pay and I really do think bassbros has an influence on this site as to what ppl think their stuff is worth recently, now I’ve been keeping an eye out and Bassbros’s stingrays seen to be creeping up! Do you agree this has a knock on effect to private sellers on Basschat? Japanese P & jazz asking prices seem to be creeping up near £1k when American versions seem to pop up regularly for under that 🤷‍♂️ and………. don’t even get me started on Status & Wal🤣🤦

but, in re-cap it definitely seems slow out there too 

• Like 1

A new one’s best part of £3000.00 ..the sterlings seem to have taken there place as the affordable option but they are the best part of £1200.00 ..there’s been a few USA models  sitting on here for a while.. I bought a ray35hh  on here more than happy with it  ..there also seems to be very little stocks of indo/korean  models ..

3 hours ago, roger said:

I’m after a nice stingray at the moment and I know what I think they’re worth and what I’m prepared to pay and I really do think bassbros has an influence on this site as to what ppl think their stuff is worth recently, now I’ve been keeping an eye out and Bassbros’s stingrays seen to be creeping up! Do you agree this has a knock on effect to private sellers on Basschat? Japanese P & jazz asking prices seem to be creeping up near £1k when American versions seem to pop up regularly for under that 🤷‍♂️ and………. don’t even get me started on Status & Wal🤣🤦

Yes I think secondhand retailers have an influence on prices. We’re still experiencing a covid hangover where people assume that whatever they’re selling is hugely desirable. We’re all teaching mass “stuff” and with the economy as it is, I expect a fair old correction.

Personally, I sold off 85% of my bass gear and did so through eBay for the speed and simplicity. In most cases I specified collection only and it worked out.

I’m now well on my way in my mid-life crisis savings pot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, roger said:

Do you think maybe the ridiculous prices that people are asking and the fact that the market is slow might be linked? 😁

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

I can't even sell a £250 bass right now, it's not the prices.

When I did have stuff to sell I was a bit cheeky and asked Bassbros what they’d offer me as trade in and used that as the basis for sale prices. If I hadn’t sold them in a week or two, I would have traded them in.

For context, I was offered £350 by BB for a 1970s Mexican jazz (block inlays one). I sold it for £375 which was, give it take, what I paid for it. I have seen them for sale on eBay and here for over £600 which seems mad to me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack said:

Do you think maybe the ridiculous prices that people are asking and the fact that the market is slow might be linked? 😁

Yes, I just didn’t want to say it🤣

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

When I did have stuff to sell I was a bit cheeky and asked Bassbros what they’d offer me as trade in and used that as the basis for sale prices. If I hadn’t sold them in a week or two, I would have traded them in.

For context, I was offered £350 by BB for a 1970s Mexican jazz (block inlays one). I sold it for £375 which was, give it take, what I paid for it. I have seen them for sale on eBay and here for over £600 which seems mad to me.

See? The markets not slow, the prices are high. Guarantee that if I put a Wal up for £20 it'd be gone in minutes.