Why become a member? ×

Son Wants To Learn Bass

If you play guitar or piano, and sing, then let your son become your accompanying bassist.

Nothing beats being part of a live band, if Son of @Bassman1974 wants a practical experience of what his role will be!

As for how to learn, let him try various options- tab, read music, play along by ear, watching someone's hands, note-at-a-time lessons, audacity slowdown, books, a teacher, his dad, in a band with his mates - then decide what works best for him.

Many moons ago I had lessons with Hubbard. The main thing I took away was the importance of correct fingers/hand/wrist/arm/body posture to ensure the mechanics of your playing doesn’t inhibit you. I think this is important and not necessary something that is easy to learn naturally but sets you up for a life time of playing. 
After that, it’s what inspires you… always learn songs you like and delve into what inspires you.  

23 minutes ago, Boodang said:

The main thing I took away was the importance of correct fingers/hand/wrist/arm/body posture to ensure the mechanics of your playing doesn’t inhibit you

This too.  Correct form and technique will make the journey easier, and the destination easier to reach. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2024 at 13:48, police squad said:

wow, I came to the bass after the violin too. I was 13. (1981)

No lessons, I just worked it out really.

I wished I'd kept up the violin now.

As Reggaebass suggested, show him some stuff and see how he goes. If he's good on the violin and has good theory it's very transferable

Here too, tho a coupe of yrs earlier.  But the primary way I leaned bass was just to just pick it up and start jamming with records (remember those!). If he's a violinist it wont take him long to figure out the notes. I think the one thing that will propel him is to pick his favourite tune. Playing along to a fav piece of music is a super fast way to figure the fretboard etc.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, diskwave said:

Here too, tho a coupe of yrs earlier.  But the primary way I leaned bass was just to just pick it up and start jamming with records (remember those!). If he's a violinist it wont take him long to figure out the notes. I think the one thing that will propel him is to pick his favourite tune. Playing along to a fav piece of music is a super fast way to figure the fretboard etc.

pretty much how I did it

• Like 1