Why become a member? ×

Funny how our tastes change……

JPJ

So many years ago I bought a Fender DLX five string that was my first foray into the world of low b (or thumb rest depending on your point of view). I struggled with the Fender active preamp and eventually I bit the bullet and replaced it with a John East J-Retro and instantly got the tone I’d been seeking. When that bass was sold it was replaced with the first of my Overwater basses, a J series five string that’s been my main gigging bass for most of the last fifteen odd years, that came with what I considered to be the perfect combination of DiMarzio UltraJazz pickups and the J-Retro circuit.

Subsequently I traded into an Overwater Perception five string, and immediately upgraded the circuit to a semi-custom J-Retro (same circuit but in a five knob arrangement). Then when I bought my Overwater Original series five string I removed the filter preamp and replaced it with a U-Retro. The Perception went on to be refinished and defretted by the master, Dave Wilson. 

Then I got a new gig. I wanted a traditional looking four string bass, and realised that fretless would be perfect so I bought a used Fender Tony Franklin Fretless Precision and immediately fell in love with the simplicity of a passive P bass, so much so I added a beautiful Lakland Skyline fretted P to the stable shortly after.

Going back to the Perception and the Original Series, I realised how dark their tone was. No amount of knob fiddling would release the Mwah on the Perception, and having followed Funkles Wal’alike mission I decided to reinstall the filter preamp into the Original Series. So yesterday, I reinstalled the original preamp into the Perception and boom - happiness! Mwah is back as are the harmonics. The J-Retro will stay in the Jazz as it works as it should and sounds great, but I now have a slew of basses that all have their own character instead of a bunch of clones. 

Its funny how your tastes change over time isn’t it 😂😎

• Like 2

I've had numerous basses that I just wasn't ready for at the time, and that I would appreciate a lot more with what I know now. I had a rather lovely Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless with a simple Noll 2-band preamp and two covered J-pickups that I loved on its own, but I had no idea how to make it work in my band - sonically, mostly. I couldn't get it to cut through and be heard in my bands. Back then I thought it was the bass, but now I know better :lol:

As far as taste in appearance goes, like @Jason Karloff, I was always into fancy natural woods. Add to that the old "Guitar companies give us lefties only black and sunburst with white pickguards!" - which I both hated. Nowadays I love a well-executed opaque finish, especially metallic or sparkle. And I used to think shortscale basses were for small people and beginners - and apparently, so did many guitar manufacturers because there was hardly a quality shortscale on the market for a long time. But I'm having so much fun playing my Atelier Z Baby Z-4J and my Sandberg Lionel, they're both absolutely brilliant! 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

Yup. I used to be all about spanky active 35" scale 5 strings played fingerstyle.

Nowadays it's tubby plonky sounding 4 string hollowbodies played with a pick. Less sustain the better. Preferably short scale.

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Owen said:

White/cream pickups eh? 2001 Owen knew they were the very lamest of the lame. I now look at them and think "tasty". 

I’ve always loved cream DiMarzio’s - just so ‘80s 😎

IMG_0636.jpeg

• Like 4

On 20/06/2024 at 08:42, Owen said:

White/cream pickups eh? 2001 Owen knew they were the very lamest of the lame. I now look at them and think "tasty". 

I deliberately sought out a set of cream pup covers when I put this together. 

20230406_114851.jpg

20230407_141415.jpg

• Like 3