Why become a member? ×

How Do I “Actually” Learn Songs?

Instead of just learning a new song and moving on to the next one once I can play it, I’ve recently been trying to break down the songs I’ve been learning by analyzing them more closely. You know, looking into what scales and chord progressions are being used, how the song structure is laid out, etc. The problem is that I don’t really know how to do this effectively, at least in a way that can help me better understand the basslines in the songs I’m learning. I’m also unsure of how I can effectively apply what I learn from analyzing these songs into my own bass playing. 

With all that being said, how do you guys break down and analyze songs? How would you recommend I do so to improve my playing?

• Like 1

If I'm learning a song, out comes the A4 pad and a pencil.

Firstly I'll identify all the sections (intro, verse, chorus, etc. - or whatever seem distinct sections) then five bar gate how many times they turn up, so I have a structure.

I usually write that out a bit more neatly - which helps me learn the structure - and then I'll start learning the actual bassline, annotating the structure I've written down with technical names like 'Fiddly bit in C', 'Flamenco !!', 'Goth Reggae', etc. :)

After all that's done it's practice time to get all the parts sounding right.

I don't usually explicitly work out the musical 'meaning' of the song - chords, key, etc. but I will occasionally as an exercise.

HTH

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 5

I'm not really a 'seasoned player' but I love learning new songs and have been doing this pretty constantly since the end of the first lockdown.

I am a covers band player and, as such, I don't need to play a particular bass line exactly as the original was played but what I play does have to fit, particularly with what the other musicians in my band are doing.

I start out looking for a video with a bass tab or a chart of the guitar chords, which I follow when listening to the song.  From either of these I will get a basic framework.

Then, as @ahpook above does, I get out my notebook and listen to the song through several times, noting down the Intro, verse, chorus, bridge, outro etc in bar sections e.g.

outro: -Dm|F|Dm|A|Dm|F|Dm|A|Dm|etc to fade.  (The Man who sold the world, down tuned to suit our singer's vocal range)

These are my own (written) notes so I don't need to go into too much detail.  I'll work out the (music) notes from the arpeggios which fit when moving along the 4 bar sections, then play and repeat until I've memorised it.

I then put the song into a playlist of our set on my iPad and play along.  When I've nailed a song I play it once, then move on  but If I haven't, I'll play it twice and sometimes stop and practise a certain section that I haven't mastered.

Then when we meet at the rehearsal, we play through and sort out our ending (-fade, doesn't work live).

This works for me.  You will, no doubt, work out a system of your own in due course.

• Like 7

Normally, if I analyse the bass line (which I do not always do), I rely on external sources to learn the chords - unless they are absolutely obvious. Then just check what the bass line is doing in relation to chord tones.

Among the benefits of doing that are the fact that it makes it much easier to remember songs, and that it makes it much easier to wing it if I forget some bits of the bass line.

I had to learn Crossroads, Cream version, a few months ago. For me, it would have been a nightmare to learn. Almost impossible to learn note for note without reference to chords. I resolved to just do it the other way around and just follow the chords, incorporating Jack Bruce parts when feasible, and wing it to a very large extent. It would not work in a Cream tribute for sure, but I suppose it would be ok in a generic rock-blues context. After all, even Bruce did not always play the same lines note for note.

A few months ago, as I was playing guitar quite a bit, I went through a couple of simple songs learning both rythmic guitar and bass line, looking at how the two instruments together outlined chords, instead of relying in external sources. If I had the time, energy and skills, I would learn every song that way because it is fascinating and I am sure would pay huge dividends over time. I suppose the guitar parts could be figured out on bass but I find it more difficult

• Like 4

My way of learning put it up on Youtube then try and play along. In general I also look for tabs/playalongs so that any runs or fiddly bits are there in front of me. From there I juts play along repeatedly over a period of days/weeks until I`ve got it. I find that especially when it`s a song that I`m not familiar with I have to do this as I`ve got to learn the song itself, not just how to play the bassline.

• Like 4

Most of the time I'll work out the bass line from repeated listens to the version we are working from (often a different tuning for the singer). I'll aim to get the basics right so that I can play through the song quite quickly but without trying to add the fiddly bits. I'll learn the song properly with repeated play-alongs, and this is where I'll start developing the fills and working out the key bass parts (the hooks and riff that have to be played) .The Hulla band has a habit of changing arrangements so initially I'll stick with the 'no frills' version for rehearsals, bringing in the hooks and fills as I nail them and as the arrangement requires. 

It takes me a while to learn a part so early on I'm using notes and charts as necessary but as the rehearsals go on these become smaller and smaller pieces of paper. For example, during the month of so of rehearsals leading up to our gig on Saturday I've had to learn 6 new songs, four songs re-arranged to include a choir and to familiarise myself with the rest of the set. My notes went from 3 sides of A4 down to the current 3/4 of a side as I picked up the parts and arrangements. Now I have what is effectively a setlist with keys, prompts for starts, tuning down/up, and the odd middle 8. There are two songs with key changes that always throw me, so they are in. Where I'm singing, I'll also have prompts for the first word/phrase of the line if necessary.   

• Like 3

I am lucky that have a pretty good ear so I tend to find the song(s) on Spotify, start out noodling along and work up to a fair approximation. If it’s a well known song that I’ve heard a fair bit over the years I can normally hit a reasonable basic version reasonably quickly before digging in a bit deeper.

For last minute deps I’ll usually check out @tomread of this parish https://www.tomreadbass.co.uk/transcriptions to see if he’s done the dots and chuck a beer in his direction.

A scan through YouTube for possible hints on awkward bits - though very often what I find is someone else’s approximation and disagree with it 🤣 but it can be a way in. Had to workout View To A Kill recently and the bass on the version I was working was indistinct in places, then I found John Taylor’s lockdown walk through and realised part of the problem was he uses echo in the verses. Still it gave me some quick pointers.

When I’m working through a deplist I promise myself that I’ll write down the structure and some hints … and then always end up with a noodle followed by “ok that’s not too taxing” 🤦‍♂️. Last week was a couple of nights on the sofa with a bass on my knee, plugged into the BassRevolt with Spotify on the aux in doing a brush up for a couple of deps on headphones while wifey watched the footie.

For prog stuff I’ll go with the play along and find dots if I can - Firth of Fifth was 12 pages across the rehearsal room floor for a while, but I think I have it now.

• Like 1

Know your patterns.

Most songs follow one pattern or another; 12 bars, 16 bars, Pachelbel, middle 8's often go to the 4, sequences of 1, 4, 5 and 2,5,1 and circles of 4ths are very common. Recognise which pattern the song is using and you can anticipate where it is going.

• Like 3

I usually learn by listening and playing along. Good headphones and a mixer with separate tone controls for each channel are very helpful. When I really got stuck, slowing down, using Audacity, comes to the rescue.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WalMan said:

For prog stuff I’ll go with the play along and find dots if I can - Firth of Fifth was 12 pages across the rehearsal room floor for a while, but I think I have it now.

I was once asked to play that.

If the music is out there, I might look at it again.

And to keep On Topic. 

1. Pick a tune - always for fun and for stretching myself (and never for a band).

2. Write it into an A5 book (double page for each tune). 

3. Write a short list of 3 songs I am working on. 

4. Practice each of the three, daily. Write progress notes into the book (",played Good Times at 80% speed.  Can't get all the notes in on the A chord section at 90%.  Watch out for the transition between the verse and chorus") to remind me of what I am working on. 

5. Rinse and repeat.

That said, the reality is that my progress is not so linear. 

• Like 1

Listen to it a lot. Also see if you can listen on different devices. The bass sometimes stands out more on a car stereo than it does on headphones or normal hi-fi or Bluetooth speakers. 

I tend to visualise song parts in 'blocks'. Intro is one colour, verses are another colour and shape etc. It makes sense to me! They all fit together in my head from left to right.

Don't get too hung up on learning every single passing note or the slight variations in the line. As long as the most recognisable parts are intact then you are good to go. As much as I love playing Jamerson lines, I am pretty sure that he improvised the majority of the fills, runs and passing notes and didn't play the same thing twice. You don't want it to be a bar by bar memory test!

Edited by interpol52
  • Like 2

My method is a bit ham-fisted but it works for me. 

Listen to the song a lot

If the bass follows under the rhythm guitar then I find a "reliable" set of chords and lyrics so I can busk along to it 

If the bass has a distinctive riff I'll try to find reliable tabs or play along videos on YouTube 

Write down the song structure (example: intro, v1, pre, chorus, V2, pre, chorus, solo, chorus X2) with notes next to most. So if the verse goes C D G C D G and doesn't change from that then I'll write CDG x2 next to V1 and leave v2 and all other verse prompts blank

This is the really odd part... I then take a photo of my notes on my iPad and that's what I use during gigs. I can memorise a lot of songs but we are always working on something new or we have songs we will only play at a wedding etc. so they come out less often so I can't memorise everything. Still, I could just type my notes on the iPad but I am stuck in my habit now!

• Like 1

If you get stuck on a section, use a DAW like Audacity to loop it and play along on headphones until you get it.

Most important, get agreement with all band members on what key you're all going to use before starting to learn anything with special ref to guitards who will often slip on a capo...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gasman said:

If you get stuck on a section, use a DAW like Audacity to loop it and play along on headphones until you get it.

Most important, get agreement with all band members on what key you're all going to use before starting to learn anything with special ref to guitards who will often slip on a capo...

We often play Chase the Key so I have to be used to learning the shapes and moving 

• Like 2

I don’t really analyse. I play it over and over until it is stuck in my head forever. I start with whatever is available. By ear, tab or traditional dots.

Then I stop looking at the paper a bit at a time until I don’t need it anymore.

Even for a reading gig I will learn it by heart and just have the paper there for last minute changes.

• Like 3

In general western music it’s relatively simple: learn the 12 keys, chords/ chord tones and scales. Best way to practice this is across 12 keys, ascending and descending in different patterns, speeding up when you’re playing the right notes consistently.

Lines are made up of chord tones, passing tones and chromatics, so once you get to grip with the above it’s possible to analyse anything. 

• Like 1

I saw an interview with Lee Sklar and he just plays the songs until he remembers them, which is basically what I do.

If I haven't time I just chart out the songs and play them from that.

• Like 2

I’m always learning different stuff.
First I roughly write down the form … intro , A part , B part , chorus , bridge , outro etc. and then work out the various bits , and write them out. After I’ve got the form and the parts down it’s straightforward . If there are variations in the parts I write them out , and note that in the form. Some notes can be brief , others can get complicated.
Then it’s simple repetition until it’s committed to memory. I prefer to memorize then be staring at my charts and notes.

Sometimes I will need the notes.

• Like 2

Very interesting reading everyone's take. I hadn't learned many new songs until quite recently joining a tribute band. 

I find learning the basslines reasonably easy (unless they're not!) but I often forget the structure. I spent a good few hours scribing the structure of a whole set and then playing through it a few times, that really worked, except that when rehearsing, my notes were on top of my amp (which was on top of a 112) and I couldn't read them from that far away. 

I think I'll need a music stand at rehearsal until they're committed to memory.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ardi100 said:

Very interesting reading everyone's take. I hadn't learned many new songs until quite recently joining a tribute band. 

I find learning the basslines reasonably easy (unless they're not!) but I often forget the structure. I spent a good few hours scribing the structure of a whole set and then playing through it a few times, that really worked, except that when rehearsing, my notes were on top of my amp (which was on top of a 112) and I couldn't read them from that far away. 

I think I'll need a music stand at rehearsal until they're committed to memory.

Put the stand slightly out of reach so you only look at it when really necessary. Otherwise you'll end up staring at it.

Sometimes you have to be make the mistakes to realise where they might happen.

If I get lost I tend to default to a Duck Dunn walk until I end up on the right note again! :D 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Unless the bassline is up front carrying the song, ie... 'A Forest' etc....the crowd wont notice anything you do if your playing a supportive role... so as long as you hit the roots correctly everything else is just fun.

On 20/06/2024 at 04:14, AhlyxMU said:

break down the songs I’ve been learning by analyzing them more closely. You know, looking into what scales and chord progressions are being used

I do this with every song I learn, I also listen closely at the note lengths too and for any muted notes, I didn’t know how much I was out on the note lengths until I recorded myself and listened to it back, so I pay particular attention now 

I’ve found that when learning songs playing through a compressor helps on this aspect, really helps getting the notes in the right places for the right amount of time.