Why become a member? ×

Aproximating a Fretless on a Fretted Bass

AGBFunkybassman

I dont have the cash to buy (or the skills to play) a fretless bass !.

I'm looking for a way to 'Get Close' to Pino's sound on Paul Youngs 'Wherever I Lay My Hat' using Guitar Rig 7

I do recall the Zoom B3 having a 'De-fret' patch but Im not sure how this was achieved

Any Help would be gratefully appreciated

Have Fun

To get that Pino sound, you'll need a chorus, an octaver, a reverb and a real fretless bass with some round wound strings.

All the fretless electronic gizmos are just illusions that are approximative, at the best.

Check the ads online, like this one which is really good enough to start practicing fretless and it's also lined: https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/yamahs-fretless-bass-reduced/1480823606

I used to get (IMO) a good sound for it on a fretted bass using a chorus stacked into another chorus on a Helix Stomp. Not sure that helps! Cheaper than buying various pedals just to create this sound might be getting hold of something like a Harley Benton fretless bass, they really are excellent basses and can be bought new very cheap, better still second hand. 

I bought a cheap bass that had been de-fretted and fret lines added for £60 off eBay. It was perfectly adequate to get me started with fretless bass playing and actually IMO out-performed every other fretless bass I bought until I spent £1k on a Pedulla Buzz.