Why become a member? ×

Doing new stuff, very exciting!

So I've been with the current band for almost three years now. In that time our set has evolved but there's a distinctive style to how we play (all covers but rocked up versions of pop songs etc). Well, we have a gig that the lead guitarist can't make it to. So last night we rehearsed as a three piece to try and work out what from our existing bank of songs would be both appropriate and workable. And then it happened. We were throwing ideas around for songs we either haven't played in years, have never played together... Some I had never heard at all! We ended up busking through nine new songs, but because we've played together and learned lots of songs together some felt like finished products, some others just need a little tightening up.

Overall it was just really fun to throw ideas out and then "have a go" but it turns out really well. Abba, Dancing Queen...? I've never even tried to play it, gave it a go, loved it, sounded great. We would never do that in the full band, ever. "I'd always wanted to do the Baywatch theme tune..." I thought out loud, expecting to be shot down. Guitarist "did it years ago in solo acoustic stuff..." We start to play it and it sounds and feels excellent.

No lead guitar? No problem. Fretless bass and some more fills than usual and we are away. Had an absolute blast.

• Like 12

Similar experience for me after years in 4 and 5 piece cover bands, move to the sticks, hook up with a guitarist with a voice. End up as a duo playing pop songs I never would have listened to in the past and having a ball. 

• Like 2

It's a great feeling!

After years of playing standard/generic pub rock, the drummer suggested a side project of Abba songs rocked up a bit. While it never took off properly, we rehearsed a set and it was such a breath of fresh air. It gave me a new respect for the Abba songs we were learning, gave me incentive and motivation to learn new bass techniques. With a new singer bringing in some more modern chart/pop which we also gave the 'rocked up' treatment we played a few gigs which went down really well.

• Like 1

I started jamming with our old guitarist and a chap with stripped down drums (bass, snare, hihat) in what was meant to be a blues band.

We started off with just straightforward progressions with each initially bluesy thing becoming improvised jazz funk or even freer.

Great fun was had, but as we'd been practicing in the local church the drummer's wife (ie vicar) heard us and now we're doing our first gig at the Church Music Day this Saturday.

We've got no songs, and have half an hour to fill... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2