Why become a member? ×

Question about amp heads without headphone input.

soulstar89

Hey peeps,

I’ve only had a combo amp with headphone and aux input so I don’t know how to solve this. 

I am looking to upgrade my bass rig. Some amps I have tried and really liked doesn’t have a headphone input(ashdown ABM evo IV & tone hammer). Is there  a way/hack to connect headphones to the amp so I can still get the functions of the amp while practicing at night when I can’t use cab? 

I have a pre-amp pedal (NUX MLD preamp DI) which I know you can connect into input jack of amp or effects loop. Not looking to do this if possible as it sounds very different. 

noob question I know but I don’t know this info. 

cheers

The usual way would be to connect the DI output of the amp head to a mixer or audio interface, which will have a headphone output.

Or unconventionally you could try connecting the DI output of the amp head to the instrument input of your NUX MLD (you'll need an XLR to mono jack cable).  So that's bass → amp head → NUX MLD → headphones.  

• Like 2

An age old idea to produce low output from the power amp is to use simple resistors. If you do some search, there should be schemas available (sort of a power attenuator).

Beware, headphone socket switches aren't the most reliable ones, as so many of us have seen/heard an unexpected mute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

The usual way would be to connect the DI output of the amp head to a mixer or audio interface, which will have a headphone output.

Or unconventionally you could try connecting the DI output of the amp head to the instrument input of your NUX MLD (you'll need an XLR to mono jack cable).  So that's bass → amp head → NUX MLD → headphones.  

Hey. Cheers for the input. 

I just checked and my MLD can be used as a DI and also an audio interface. I will have to look into this more then. 

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Nope.

headphone sockets need quite a bit of kit behind the panel. Cant just plug cans into the speaker out!

Dedicated headphone amps are dirt cheap now. Or use an interface and a free app for a smartphone. 

Cheers bud. You do have the likes of vox etc but they sound crap imo. 

15 minutes ago, itu said:

An age old idea to produce low output from the power amp is to use simple resistors. If you do some search, there should be schemas available (sort of a power attenuator).

Beware, headphone socket switches aren't the most reliable ones, as so many of us have seen/heard an unexpected mute.

Cheers I’ll look into it. 

If I went also picked up a markbass 12” combo they also don’t have a headphone input. 

Just plug your headphones into the speaker out and see what happens....

....no really don't do that - use something like:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/two_notes_torpedo_captor_8_ohm.htm?glp=1&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwps-zBhAiEiwALwsVYfnLs8YJvjpSO3ZxrYkj6DfpAfj4Aeyh6IYLcAtwlGLvl6GHdDm_wxoCJcwQAvD_BwE

Edited by SimonK
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SimonK said:

Just plug your headphones into the speaker out and see what happens....

....no really don't do that!!!

Pmsl hahaha. I’m a noob but not that silly 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I was thinking you could maybe plug in a headphone little amplifier to say the input jack and get some sound that way. I honestly don’t have experience in this. 

as my MLD can be used as a audio interface that would mean I plug it into a music software and practice that way. TBH honest I was thinking of selling the MLD pedal after I’ve got my rig as I wouldn’t really need it. I may have to hold that thought. 

By the way, the headphones do not represent the same response as the cab/speaker. The sound is not the same.

I decided to use a battery operated small headphone amp with AUX in. Amplug by Blackstar. Easier to carry around than a 12 kg head.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

Cheers bud. You do have the likes of vox etc but they sound crap imo. 

the free phone version of Amplitube and a cheap interface will sound great. I used that for years before I got my Waza-Air headphones.  Now they are a work of genius! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, soulstar89 said:

I am looking to upgrade my bass rig. Some amps I have tried and really liked doesn’t have a headphone input(ashdown ABM evo IV & tone hammer)

Take a look at the new Tone Hammer v2. It has both aux in and a headphone socket. 

• Like 1

If you want the sound of the amp in your headphones then you can use the effects send or the preamp out on the head into any headphone amp. I bet thomann do a very usable one cheap. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack said:

If you want the sound of the amp in your headphones then you can use the effects send or the preamp out on the head into any headphone amp. I bet thomann do a very usable one cheap. 

You may be able to, but check output levels/compatibility first. The preamp send in particular may be too hot for some headphone amps.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2024 at 23:08, itu said:

By the way, the headphones do not represent the same response as the cab/speaker. The sound is not the same.

I decided to use a battery operated small headphone amp with AUX in. Amplug by Blackstar. Easier to carry around than a 12 kg head.

fair. I’ve just not been impressed with the vox I tried. It didn’t inspire me to want to play. 

Posted (edited)
On 21/06/2024 at 08:29, pineweasel said:

Take a look at the new Tone Hammer v2. It has both aux in and a headphone socket. 

I was a Massive fan of the tonehammer until I tried the ashdown and also the genz Benz streamliner. I think we will have to wait a little longer to tryout the v2 of the tonehammer, not many have it in stock as yet. 

Edited by soulstar89

3 hours ago, Jack said:

Oh really? I didn’t know this. 

...unless there is a specific drive sound in the pre-amp of your main amp that you need for practicing, I would forget the amp for practicing and just use an audio interface into a computer.

However, if you want the sound of the pre-amp a little mixer like the Behringer Xenyx should do the job as you can adjust the level coming in from the effects send of the amp, and then use the headphone socket on the mixer. You can also pipe in whatever backing track you want to play to using one of the other (stereo) channels. Also if you decide not to use your amp the bass can just go straight into the line in.

Screenshot2024-06-22at17_19_10.thumb.png.4181821ac25359a177dbb7ef70eca675.png

• Like 1